Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pelican nebula and area

CELESCOPE

• 3 weeks later...

I'm playing around with a colourisation algorithm as a distraction from my disseration, it looks a little over processed at the moment but seems a pretty cool technique, as soon as I understand how it works I'll try and extend it and hopefully offer an online version :clouds2:

image.jpg

If anybody wants me to do this for any other images, all I need is the original black and white image, then another image, the same as the original but scribble the colours roughly where they should appear, you don't need to do to much, just a little hint of what the colours should be and the program works it out for itself, pretty clever!

This is where it comes from: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~yweiss/Colorization/

Fabulous image. Does look like a Pelican, too.

I took a University course in Astronomy in 1967. Back then, quasars had just been discovered. The first colour pictures from the professional observatories were in our textbook. It is amazing to me that today's amateurs can easily produce pictures better than they were taking from Mt. Palomar 40 years ago. I won't see what we're getting 40 years from now, but some of you will. Pictures of stars with planets, anyone?

If anybody wants me to do this for any other images, all I need is the original black and white image, then another image, the same as the original but scribble the colours roughly where they should appear, you don't need to do to much, just a little hint of what the colours should be and the program works it out for itself, pretty clever!

This is where it comes from: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~yweiss/Colorization/

Can't wait till you get it sussed and show us the online version.

Hi Grant most of these i take are emission nebs , so they take on a red coloure anyway , what i meant by the O111 and other broadbands are that they do render different colours ,thats pressuming you are imaging in LUM AND OTHER FILTERS , i can easily colour other nebs that render reflection and emission , but what im trying to say is , the broadband filters are the business and i think they will take on a new way of imaging although possibly not the true colours , now if you could do that in the software that would be great, what ya think .

Rog

i will try and get you one of these images from another forum , if you have,nt seen one as yet ,

Archived