Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I am now ready to buy...I think?

Hi everyone,

After several months without a scope I am now ready to take the plunge again and am looking for a reasonable visual/planetary imaging set-up with a little bit of deep sky thrown in now and again.

I am not looking to go OTT with this, I am just looking for a reasonable improvement on imaging with my last set-up which was a SW Mak 127 & Philips webcam.

I have the SW EQ6 pro mount in mind and have been offered an Intes 7" Mak for the visual/planetary and after reading Making Every Photon Count I am pretty interested in the SW ED80 for deep sky.

I managed to speak to a few people at Astrofest and they all seemed to think that the Russian optics on the Intes would serve me well for visual/planetary imaging and it seems that a lot of top imagers use and recommend the ED80. If I do go for the 3 items above, I will left with between £1000 - £1500 of my budget. What I need now is recommendations for cameras and any other kit that I will need to get up and running. I have a huge problem with storage space which is what has put me off of going for a larger APO or large aperture reflector.

I really need help here as there seem to be pros & cons with the different scope/camera types and I need to know if my choice of kit will do the job or should I go back to the drawing board?

This will probably be the only time I will have the funds to buy this sort of kit, so I want a set-up that I can stick with for a fair while and maybe build on.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Regards and thanks in advance

Tony

Its an expensive game you're getting into now so you want to get it right first time. I think most first time imagers go for the ED80 and that certainly would be my first choice, the same advise has been offered more times than I can remember on here. I had one for a short time as a grab and go kit so I do have a litttle experience of them and they are a very nice little scope, however I don't image, other will help.

... What I need now is recommendations for cameras and any other kit that I will need to get up and running

Don't forget software costs and maybe a dedicated PC/laptop too!

Although there is a lot of free stuff knocking around, you'll probably still end up buying some packages. Whether that's something like AstroArt at 129 euros or Photoshop CS5 at £600 (tho' that's probably overkill) or something else, there's still a cost - though the good news is that it won't take up any of your limited storage space.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

It would seem that the OTA's & the mount get the thumbs-up.

I have a dedicated laptop and the software already so now I need advice on cameras etc. Do I still need an autoguider? DSLR or dedicated CCD? Mono or colour? Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhh!:)

Archived