Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice Easy Question

Hi all,

After much pondering and soul searching, and a lot of cloudy nights I might add, I've come to a decision about my future astronomical viewing. As pleased as I am with my 200 Dob, I have decided to sell up in favour of a refractor. It is wonderful to see those DSO's that can only be seen with wide apertures, but I don't seem to get as much pleasure as I do when viewing planets, which I believe are best viewed through the refractor lens. (Please correct me if i'm wrong). A refractor also offers a bit more portability to the equation. It is with this in mind that I ask you kind and knowledgeable folk to recommend a £300 refractor, preferably on an EQ mount but not crucial.

I wish I could afford to have both, but alas it's one or the other.

Many thanks

Craig

Your 200P dob should be able to outperform any refractor you could buy for £300 on the planets. Is the collimation on your dob OK ?.

Hi John,

Collimation is fine and I do get a good view of the planets but I was under the impression, maybe mistakenly, that contrast was better through a refractor?

Ease of transport was also another factor, but I won't sell if my view will end up worse.

For the same aperture, contrast is better in a refractor than a reflector, because the the reflector has a central obstruction. But contrast also improves with aperture, so you would need a very large refractor to compete with a 200mm dob.

For the same aperture, contrast is better in a refractor than a reflector, because the the reflector has a central obstruction. But contrast also improves with aperture, so you would need a very large refractor to compete with a 200mm dob.

Understood, looks like she's staying then, I suddenly feel all calm:)

Stick with the dob good refractors are exspensive. Are you still using stock ep's?

Paul

sent from my Nexus One

Yes Paul, still using the stock EP's. I was waiting for myself to make a decision, which looks like is now made, so plan to get a 6mm Williams

I have a Evostar 120 refractor and just got a 200P (f5 though, not dob) haven't had a chance to view with 200P but I will do a comparison on planets when I get the chance & let you know :)

Many thanks, would be good to read the comparison

Archived