NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher 200P

Hi, I'm completely new to astronomy and just about to buy my first telescope. I'd kind of decided on the Skywatcher 200 + EQ5 because of recommendation, but there seems to be a 200P and a 200 PDS.

Is it worth paying a little more for the PDS? Apparently the difference is " A Dual-Speed 10:1 ratio focuser is now included for excellent focusing precision. Also the tube length has been slightly shortened to optimise performance for prime-focus photography. ". I'm afraid I don't know enough yet, to know whether this is advantageous or not!

May I have your opinions please?

It's only advantageous if you are interested in taking pics with it.

If not there's little point.

TBH if imaging is your prime concern I would have a god look at some small fast refractors. Much easier starting point, apparently.

Regards Steve

Another thing to think about if you are seriously considering astro photography is the mount. I'm not sure the EQ5 is going to be suitable with the 200P or 200PDS once you start adding extra weight to it in the form of a camera, guidescope, etc.

Ok, sounds like I'm in for more money then :) Definitely want to attach a camera.

So is it the EQ6 mount i'd be looking at along with the 200PDS?

The EQ6 will happily take a 250PDS and all the extra guiding equipment and cameras you will probably end up with :(

If you're gonna get an EQ6, you might as well get a 250PDS......... if you can stretch the budget that bit more, of course.

Ok, sounds like I'm in for more money then :) Definitely want to attach a camera.

You could manage with an HEQ5 (I had a 200P/HEQ5 combo which worked very well, although probably at the limit of its weight capacity). An NEQ6 would be nice if you can stretch to it, though.

I'm no expert but when I was looking to buy my scope I was looking at either the 200 or 250 and in both cases most people recommended the EQ6 as the mount that would be more suited to getting good results with imaging. It also means you have a route to upgrade if you wanted to go with a heavier OTA in the future.

Archived