NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

messier objects

Vince1963

In theory an 8" dob will be able to see all the Messier objects and many more besides. It's not a good choice to photograph then with though - you need a different set-up, including an equatorial mount, for that.

I have been advised from the guys on here that for astrophotography that a minimum of a HeQ5 would be the minimum spec mount for a stable photography platform.

Mind you my scope is a 10" newtonian so you may get away with an eq5, but I suspect an eq3 would not be able to cope.

I have an eq3-2 for a smaller scope and it wobbles quit a bit being aluminiun tube alloy.

An EQ3 is not suitable for an 8" newtonian. Even for visual use it's going to wobble and vibrate a lot. For imaging you would need an HEQ5 or preferably an EQ6.

For imaging (but not viewing) messier objects though a small apochromatic refractor is often preferred. That is what I meant by a different set-up. The requirements of visually observing deep sky objects and imaging them are very different.

There's a wonderful book 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richards which is to be thoroughly recommended.

His take is that moving to guided imaging is the quantum leap. 'Follow' your target :icon_scratch: Going for a mount with a ST4 guiding port gives you more options. So HEQ5 or NEQ6 in the SW range gives you that plus the payload ability to carry a guidescope/camera and ephemera.

Of course plenty of other manufacturers/makes are available :)

thanks John, this is starting to sound expensive lol. I started with a budget of £400, thats not going to be enough is it?. one i had in mind was a skywatcher explorer 200p on a eq5, not eq3 as quoted earlyer (my mistake). Cheers

Archived