Beginner advice please.

Hello, may I please ask for some expert advice for what will hopefully be a simple question.

I am hoping that Astronomy will be a new hobby, but I don't want to spend a fortune on a telescope and then realise that it isn't for me. I am therefore looking on the second hand market at up to around £300 for starters. I can then move onto grander equipment if I find it a buzz (I am sure I will, but my wife is being cautious for me!!).

At this stage, I am simply looking to "take a look up there", so nothing serious at this stage.

I have found an Orion Europa 150mm Reflector Telescope with two two PLOSSL eye peces at 25mm and 10mm and does seem to be in very good condition. It is £150.

I have read a number of reviews of this and it seems to be a good starting position.

Would anyone have any comments about whether this is indeed a good "starter" for me and if not, whether you have any other suggestions. Finally, in respect of the Orion, as it is second hand, are there any areas I need to look out for i.e. hidden damage?

One last thing, we have no lights in our village, but do suffer some light polution so any Telescope needs to be reasonably portable to move to a darker location.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, I am most grateful for any assistance you are able to provide.

Martin

welcome martin the orion europa is a very similar if not the same as this one

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P OTA I think that some of the orion usa scopes are rebadged skywatchers so it is a very good scope. What kind of mount does it come on?

this is it on a dobsonion mount First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

and this is it on an eq3

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO not goto at that price probably

check the mirrors for large scratches and chips make sure the tube isn't dented make sure none of the bolts on the mount are bent, stripped.check the mount moves if you are not sure how to do it get him to show you.

here is one review I found off cloudy nights

http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=736

For me I would get the 200P dob for general observing. The bigger the aperture of the telescope, the brighter the objects appear in the telescope and the more of them you can see.

For me 200mm aperture under okay skies gives you plenty to look at without being ridiculously large (no stepladder required) and the price point is amazing for what you are getting.

It's not what I'd call a grab and go scope but unless your light pollution is really bad it should give you plenty to look at from home.

Good luck getting the right scope!

Hi Martin - welcome to SGL - I have the 200p like a lot of others on the forum and like many I am pretty new to this hobby - I can only go by my own experience and say I think this telescope is great - and to me it is pretty much grab and go - I keep it in an upstairs wardrobe- when the skies clear I put it up in about 5 minutes outside wait for it to cool down and away you go - easy.

Just a word of caution though - its easy to spend on this hobby - you absolutely don't have to - for £270 you would have a great scope and lens to get going - but it won't take long to discover the gadgets that make the hobby even easier and more interesting - books, chairs,lens etc

I'm with Luke on this - it really is a great scope and easy to set up and get going from your own garden - anyhows- good luck with whatever you chose

Steve

Hi Martin, have you thought about starting off with just a pair of binoculars?

I too am new to this and I am finding the bin's great for seeing a whole lot more that I can with the naked eye. They are just the job (for me) for learning my way around the night sky and seeing some fantastic sights.

All depends on what you want to look at/what interests you.

Just a thought.....

Hi

The Orion is a good scope but for your £300 you could get the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian scope. This is an 8 inch / 200mm aperture reflector so gives 77% more light grasp than the Europa. Also, the Dobsonian design is more straightforward to use because of the AltAz mount. When not in use I store the 200P in the hall cupboard and cover it to prevent dust from settling. The scope breaks down into tube assembly and base so can be transported easily (I drive a hatchback).

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

HTH!

I started with a 150 mm and its plenty big to start with. However, my advice would be unless you plan to get into photography , avoid a eq mount. Its hard on your back and being double jointed helps. I now have a Dob and find the Dob a joy to use.

HTH

Bart

Hello Martin, welcome to SGL :icon_scratch:

For your £300 and your ambition to take a look up at the night sky I'll add my voice to the previous suggestions of an 8 inch reflector on a dobsonian mount.

I've got a Skywatcher 200P dob and it's shown me so many amazing things...the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Uranus, Venus, double stars, globular clusters, galaxies....you get the idea :)

The 200P dob is very popular, and rightly so. It's simple to set up, intuitive to use and easy to upgrade. The most complicated thing is reflectors need to be collimated (mirrors aligned), but there are guides on how to do this and plenty of advice, and success stories, here on SGL.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

Archived