Primary Mirror Question

Hello!

I know that cleaning the primary is inadvisable, and that they function well even with a bit of a dust build-up, but as a newbie with a nice shiny scope I'd like some advice on this please:

Mirror.jpg

It's a black speck, a little bigger than the image shows (there's also a smaller black dot above it). I'm guessing a blade of grass possibly - no idea how it got on there, but I noticed it after an observing session last night.

Is it worth trying to get it off the mirror, or will this do more harm than good?

TIA :icon_scratch:

Hi icewalking. You are not referring to the small black disc (which should be positioned at the exact centre of the primary) that is intended to assist with collimation are you? If so, and it is in the right place - difficult to tell from the angle of your picture - then it should stay where it is.

Hi icewalking. You are not referring to the small black disc (which should be positioned at the exact centre of the primary) that is intended to assist with collimation are you? If so, and it is in the right place - difficult to tell from the angle of your picture - then it should stay where it is.

Hi coulthamst - it's the mark just north of the collimating disc; it's not very clear on the photo, but is quite prominent in real life!

Thanks for the advice - I think I will err on the side of caution and leave it be for now. Still, it's going to bug me knowing that my nice new shiny mirror is blemished, even if the views aren't affected! :icon_scratch:

Archived