NEQ6 guiding set-up

I have a NEQ6 and want to get into guiding and would like to know the best way of guiding. Is it best to use Eqmod with the HitecAstro EQDIR adapter or by connnecting the scope to the laptop via the handset. I hope I have got this right. Any help would be appreciated.

I use the EQDIR adapter, but I think you can use the handset - EQMOD. You would need a serial port on the laptop or I guess you could use a serial to USB adapter if no srial port is on your laptop. Having said that, the page I link has the following warning "PC-Direct mode is an undocumented feature of the Synscan handcontroller that many people have found to work successfully in combination with EQMOD. However you should be aware that the EQMOD developers have no technical insight into its implementation or of its limitations. We cannot therefore guarantee reliable operation when using PC-Direct mode and this fact may limit its practical use to evaluation only. We would advise strongly against unattended operation whilst using PC-Direct Mode."

Play safe and get a EQDIR :-)

I guess so, but if you have a guide camera that has an ST4 guide port then I think you can do away with any connection between the mount and the pc. PHD allows you to choose an 'on camera' setting. This tells PHD the camera is directly connected to the mount using the ST4 ports and an ST4 cable.

If you don't have a camera with an ST4 port then you can use EQMod to channel 'ascom pulse' guide settings from the pc to the mount.

I use ST4 direct guiding and I also use EQMod (with Cartes du Ciel skychart) for the remote control functions it gives me, the easy and accurate star alignment and other features like GPS and accurate polar alignment..... oh, and I use an Xbox controller to manually control the scope.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived