Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Light Pollution Filter.

Hello again SGL,

A bit of advice needed regarding a light pollution filter please.

I live in an area of moderate light pollution, not too bad but some. I currently own a Sky-Watcher UHC 1.25 Filter or Nebula Filter as some call them. Is this the same as a light pollution filter, or would it be worth me investing in a LP filter also for my 200p Dob ?

Also some filters I have seen have stated they are best used for apertures up to 114mm.

So if it would be a worthwhile investment, could anybody recommend a filter that would work well in my scope, whether 2 inch or 1.25. Thanks in advance guys.

The SW UHC filter is also pretty good for LP generally. But if you want something that will let through all desirable wavelengths then the SW LP filter is quite good, but even better is the Baader Neodynium filter, go for this one if budget allows. I have tried both and both fit the bill, but the Baader wins. I also have the Orion Skyglow which is also good, so have tried them all!

Thanks for that Robin/Mark as usual a great help. I have been reading reviews on the Baader Neodynium, most are excellent. Although some claim that it is only effective on certain kinds of street lights, mmm a bit confusing this filter business. But I guess it will be an improvement on no LP filter at all. I dont really get on with the SW UHC filter I own, it makes everything too dark. So may go for the Baader Neodynium in 1.25 & if I like, I may try the SW one in 2inch. Probably. (its cheaper).

I have a couple of SW LPR filters and I use the 2" all the time for imaging. Visually I found it doesn't really do too much to help finding faint fuzzies but is very useful in cutting glare and enhancing contrast on the moon. A UHC seems to give much better result, for those objects where it makes a difference (emision nebs mainly).

Archived