SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Dark Sky Safari

Hi all - the wife wants me out of the house this Friday for a girlie night in (don't ask) so I thought finish work at 12 great chance to find a dark sky site to use over the next few years.

I live in the Rhymney Valley S Wales and I would guess the Storey Arms in Brecon is less than half an hour away.

I saw on the S Wales group that they had used the Mountain Centre before but the photos still showed the Orange Glow from the Valleys and Cardiff and on the Dark Sky Maps its obvious when you get to Brecon you need to head North into Mid Wales but I think half an hour or so on from Brecon would be doable on a regular basis so no more really than that I think.

Packing my Coffee, Laminating charts this week and two pairs of socks just need a cloudless night to get my first view of Andromeda -any suggestions for eventual destinations and equipment more than appreciated :) (and yes I know I need my telescope aswel :icon_eek: )

Steve

Although I don't know your area at all. One piece of advice that served me very well is as follows. Scope (sorry) out several potential sites on Google maps etc first, then visit them during the day to get a feel for the location, surrounding area, elevation, & tree lines etc. Then make a nighttime visit to your shortlisted sites afterwards with just your naked eyes. Let your eyes adapt at each site and get a feel for the traffic passing and things like that. Then you'll be able to make the best decision for a proper nights observing next time.

I started with 10 potential sites and whittled it down to 2 over a few weekends.

This may seem a lot of messing about but i have wasted many hours searching for locations at night, that i can clearly see on maps or turn out to be unsuitable for other reasons that i wouldn't of spotted without a day visit.

There is quite pronounced light pollution at Brecon and even at the centre. Your right, you need to travel further NW. But the problem like you is time spent travelling. I' ll travel 2 hours to get to a dark site, but thats my limit.

Archived