Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Broken dual axis handset, any geniuses available?

spacetrace

I just made such a silly mistake!! My dual axis handset batteries were running low, so I decided to plug it into my 12v power tank , the lights lot up for 1 second then it died, being a complete idiot I didn't think to notice that it is only a 6v handset.. I've took it apart and checking with the voltmeter shows that there is power getting through but the led is not lighting up, so thinking that I may have just blown the led I plugged it back into the scope (using battery pack this time) to see if power was getting to the motors, but nothing... Any ideas please ???

I don't know if the hand box is reverse polarity protected. If it is, then perhaps it's just the semi conducter that has blown out. If so, then the hand set will not receive a supply.

It needs to be opened up, and established if that protective diode is fact in there. If it is, it's an easy component to check, and if it is damaged, easy to replace.

Then again, it may be beyond repair if twice the voltage has hit it.

Ron.

Sounds more like the 8051 uC has blown. Most of these units just use a couple of diodes to drop the input voltage down to 5.5v for the uC and 12v with a 1.2v drop across a couple of diodes will fry the chip.

Interestingly I was just looking for something similar myself and if you are the tinkering type then this article tells you how to build a whole new controller.

Archived