Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro clubs in Cornwall...

Kynaston

My wife and I are going down to Hayle in Cornwall for a two week holiday in June/July and we are wondering if there are any local astronomy Societys in that location, so that we might possibly visit? I am not taking any `scopes down with me on holiday... only 15x50 binos, so would appreciate any suggestions for clubs in that area. Thanks.

Hi

Check out the following links.

The first is for the Federation of Astronomical Societies, just scroll down to the Cornwall entries.

The Second is a link to another SGL thread regarding a certain club on Cornwall, one of the posts lists a couple of extra astro clubs not given in the fedastro site.

Federation of Astronomical Societies - Member Societies

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/173191-story-some-advice.html

HTH!

Hi I am from west Cornwall and very new to this (have only had my scope for 2 weeks). While the weather has been cloudy i have been searching for astro groups in this area, and unfortunately so far have not found anything. If you do come across one, I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Hope you and your wife enjoy your holiday.

Jo :)

I lived in Falmouth until a couple of years ago, so I can help you out here. There is;

West Cornwall Astronomy Society - they meet in Falmouth and Helston West Cornwall Astronomical Society.

Brannel Astronomy who meet in St Columb Major Academy TR9 6RW Brannel Astronomy in my opinion this is the best Astronomy society in the area.

Also of note is Callington Community Astronomy Group CALLINGTON COMMUNITY ASTRONOMY GROUP - very active friendly group.

Cornwall Astronomy Society based in Helston - Cornwall Astronomy Society - Friendly group but often stray of astronomy covering non astro science based topics such as meterology and geology etc.

I have commented on a few others in the "a story and some advice" thread mentioned above.

Hi Jo. Are you in the Hayle area of West Cornwall? There are a lot of dark areas down there for you to observe from... lucky you. What scope did you get?? :)

Hi I live in the penzance area so not too far from Hayle, lots of good areas to observe from (if ever its not cloudy). My scope is a skyliner 150 dob, only managed to use it 3 times so far, due to cornish cloudy skies. Ah well plenty of oppurtunities soon i hope. :(

My scope is a skyliner 150 dob, only managed to use it 3 times so far, due to cornish cloudy skies.

Ahh would that be the usual misty Cornish mizzle?

I remember that it's always worth trying the other coast, very often the opposite coast can be clear skies; :) Handy if you can phone someone you know who lives in St. Ives or Hayle, since your near Penzance.

For those who are unfamiliar with this part of the world this weather is a Cornish phenomenon - since when your in the far west of Cornwall known as the Penwith district - (the St Ives/ Penzance / Lands End area) you cannot be any more than 4 miles from the sea and you are surrounded by sea in almost all if not every direction! Cornwall is surrounded by warm currents from the gulf stream - This causes unusual weather conditions, and a sub-tropical climate unique to Cornwall and the Scilly Isles. It's common to find one coast basking in sunshine whilst the other just 8 miles away is drenched in Mizzle.

Haha i like that mizzle havent heard that since i worked out of newlyn years ago, we call it liquid sunshine im up near bude now so if its peeing down on davidstow its sunshine on the coast and vica versa. One of the farmers i built a drystone wall for uses sea weed to tell if its going to rain before cutting the crop and he swears by it.

Thanks to all for the replies and information. I will be taking a small netbook with us and hopefully may be able to meet up with some of you Kernow peeble for a wet and a chat. Let me know if you fancy a beer in the Copperhouse in Hayle and we will see what we can arrange.

• 1 month later...
Hi I am from west Cornwall and very new to this (have only had my scope for 2 weeks). While the weather has been cloudy i have been searching for astro groups in this area, and unfortunately so far have not found anything. If you do come across one, I would be grateful if you could let me know.

Hope you and your wife enjoy your holiday.

Jo :(

Don't know where you are in Cornwall but the following link is to my astronomy club

Brannel Astronomy

Don't know where you are in Cornwall but the following link is to my astronomy club

Brannel Astronomy

Thanks for the link Richard, I am in Pz and was really hoping to find somewhere a bit closer to home, but no such luck.

Guess i'll have to venture a bit further than i had planned to ;)

Thanks again

Jo :)

• 5 years later...

Archived