Ppl finally this is it

I am adamant on going on either of the two SW150P dob or SW150EQ3-2. I am not able to decide which one to go. Both are same f ratio and latter one costs 77 B pounds or 120$ more in India. I am sorry that I am asking so many Q's but seriously I am not able to decide my first scope so sorry if i troubled you a lot. These r final.Just tell me which one to go for. I worked out that if I buy the mount separately/later that costs me 230 B pounds more than the dob so I am considering EQ3-2 one.

If you think that you will upgrade your Eq3-2 with motor drive and you will take astro images then you should go for EQ mount. But if you ar buying telescope for visual viewing then go for dobsonian !

Nobody can make the decision for you Amit.

You shall have to decide. As you say, both scopes are identical, so the means to move it around the sky is the choice you are making.

The Dob. is a simple, but effective mount, but it is Altazimth, and has to be manually moved across the sky, and in two directions if you are following a specific object for a length of time.

The Equatorial mount, when properly polar aligned, and set up, need only be moved in Right Ascension to track a target object.

Unless it is fitted with a motor, it too will need moving manually.

The EQ will lend itself better to Astro imaging, but it is a limited capability in that area, as far as guiding automatically.

All the clues are there, time to decide :icon_salut:.

Ron.

Hi Amit, having the 150P myself, i'd say go for the EQ3-2 over the Dob. It really all depends what you want to do with it. if it's just visual then the dob but if you fancy taking pics then the eq3-2 has got to be the way forward for you. As Zul says you'll have to at some point fit at least an R.A. motor to help track the object your photograghing.

Good luck with what ever you decide to buy.

Regards Ady

The scopes have a different spec as well. The dob is a 150mm F/8 with a focal length of 1200mm and the SW150EQ3-2 comes in either a 150mm F/5 form (the "P") or a 150mm F/8 form (the "PL"). The PL is a little undermounted on the EQ3-2 mount in my opinion but the same spec is fine on the dob type mount. The F/5 version will show wider fields of view but will need short focal length eyepieces or a barlow lens to reach high powers. The PL will be easier to collimate and will take low cost eyepieces better.

Archived