Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Feb 4, 2011: Leo is very fuzzy - Galaxy hunting

m_j_lyons

Very pleased with the pleasant weather in California I decided to take the scope out for some early morning galactic hunting. Alarm went of at 3am (crazy or dedicated?) and I was driving to Blue Canyon airport shortly there after. By 4:15 I was setup in a small clear area of the tarmac surrounded by about 6 inches of snow & ice. Temps were hovering right around freezing and the winds were calm. The moon was just setting as I pulled in (part of the plan) so things were getting dark quickly at this Bortle 3 location. This was my first time at such a dark location with my 10' dob...so I had high hopes for the night (or is that morning?).

New finds Old friends Missed targets

Leo was well placed in the sky so after a quick collimation the eye went to the EP.

I started out at Algieba (gamma Leo) and hopped over to the galactic pair NGC 3226 and 3227. I was pleased to find two faint...but very distinct fuzz balls hanging in the 10mm EP. NGC 3227 was rather elongated at a 60-80 degree angle from NGC 3226. With averted vision the view was very nice - both galaxies had a core that stood out distinctly. The moon was still influencing the sky as the fainter stars were not yet visible in the EP. Moving the field of view a bit I was able to see the faint glow of NGC 3222 as a faint, round fuzz ball. Considerably larger than a star...but still much smaller than 3226/3227.

I decided to move up the neck of Leo so I centered on the Hickson 44 galactic group - I know from photos that this area is rich with faint fuzzies and it didn't disappoint. I quickly spied NGC 3193, NGC 3190, and NGC 3185. Of this string of galaxies NGC 3190 was the most impressive. It stretched and clearly had the highest surface brightness - the galactic core stood out from the surrounding disk. The others were 'typical' faint/fuzzy galaxies that showed as nothing more than a faint cloudiness. And impressive little stretch of sky that I'll return to at a later date.

From Leo's neck I moved under his chin NGC 2994 and NGC 2991. Star hopping to this pair took a while...but I made it and was pleased with the sight. Both galaxies were faint and fuzzy...but there they were! Also noted were the various mag 12-13.4 stars that were clearly visible...it was getting DARK and I'm loving my new scope!

From the chin to the tip of the tongue I moved to NGC 2903. A few star hops and this gem shined 'almost brightly' in my EP. At 120x this galaxy displayed a distinct brighter area along the long-axis. This was likely the galactic bar...but I'm not 100% sure...either way this was a nice sight. I can't figure out why this didn't make the Messier list...how could this NOT have looked like a possible comet back then? A short hop away and I was observing the faint glow of NGC 2916. Nothing really notable with this faint fuzzy...but it was there. I spoted the glow before I confirmed the location of the galaxy.

Next it was to the heart of the lion with NGC 3329 and SN2012A. With the dark skies I could just make out the glow of the galaxy ... but to my delight SN2012A was clearly visible with averted vision...and occasionally with direct sight! By far my best view of the supernova to date!

Next came M65, M66, and NGC 3628. Much has been written about these and they all were all stunning. NGC 3628 was a particular pleasure...direct vision (normally averted-only for me) and the classic thin pencil look. Moving back towards Leo proper I spied NGC 3596 as a faint cotton ball...rather large (relatively speaking) and very round.

Diverting my attention to close-by Mars I upped the magnification to 240x and after a bit was able to see the polar ice cap...very bright and white in contrast to the ruddy complexion of the rest of the planet.

Keeping with 240x I moved over to Saturn and was pleased to be able to discern the Cassini Divide for the first time!

I jumped back to fuzzy hunting but I think I sort of ruined my night vision with Mars and Saturn...both being pretty bright. I failed to find NGC 3344 ... just couldn't everything working on all cyllinders.

I spent the next few minutes in Ursa Major going for M109...I found it as an elongated faint fuzzy...as it should be. Nothing really memorable about it...but at least I can check it off now. With sunrise on the way (pale blue skies in the east at this point) I was able to spy NGC 3953...clearly visible...but a faint, slightly elongated, cotton ball.

Thus ends a very nice, very cold, night in the mountains. Back to the car...and luke warm coffee.

Happy hunting!

Great report.

Congrats on Cassini, that must be satisfying.

Agree with you on NGC 2903, I was also surprised about its brightness. I think it is easier to see than all the Leo Messiers apart from M105.

Most of the others you describe are probably beyond my sky / scope capability. Fingers crossed that I might manage NGC 3227 and NGC 3628 on a moonless night.

Enjoy your new scope. A 10" dob is next on my list, all be it a year or so away.

Archived