First scope

Hi

i have around £300 to spend, on my first scope, ideally with Goto.

Useage, will be a bit of everything really, i realise a lot of DSO will be out of reach at this price but would be nice to see some.

Size is also a consideration, i want something portable and also to easily store at home out of the way so as not to annoy the better half :)

Now i have been looking at either the Explorer-130P SynScan or the Meade StarNavigator 102, the Meade is the special edition that comes with 5 eyepeices (32, 47, 67, 88 and 133) which to me looks quite good value for the same price as the 130p, but are they any good?

Thanks in advance.

Size of the 200p is off putting, its a big lump having now seen one close up, i understand they are probably best bang for buck though.

This seems to be a most frustrating hobby as far as getting kit goes :)

Very true. When I got back into observing a few years ago I had to see the scope in the flesh, and the workings of the mount etc. I bought a 150p on eq3 mount and it was a great scope - ideal for what I needed at the time. Circumstances have changed since and so have my scopes but I would still have bought the 150p to start. Of course that doesn't mean that it is suitable for everyone. Good luck and try not to stress about it.

It is hard making that first decision about a scope, I spent hours and hours on it, and in the end I just went with my instincts (whatever that means :D), so not the 200P Dob :)

On a serious note, If you want a reflector then the 200P is worth a look, considering your budget. I didn't get a GOTO as I wanted to try and learn the sky with a sky-atlas, but can see how they are tempting in terms of being able to cut to the chase, as it were.

Anyway, good luck with your search :) CW

Archived