In preparation of making my purchase I am now wondering about a power source for an HEQ5 mount. Having read these forums to death over the last few days and used the search function extensively I was going to go to Maplins to get one of their 17ah units, but it has just occurred to me that my car has an auxiliary cigarette lighter jack socket in the boot.

The scope will be transported to viewing site (I live under Manchesters skies) so the car will have to be there. Assuming my car battery is healthy there's no reason I can't simply use this socket, right? A 5m lead comes in at about £15 saving me around £50 for unit and lead. And I won't forget to keep it charged either!

Personally I don't see the point of these power packs/tanks. A good old leisure battery is better. More capacity and more rugged. I always get rid of the cigarette type plugs and use croc clips or use a power distribution device that uses the same type of plug you use on the mount. Don't go to halfords for the battery they're far overpriced. Look online. I got one from eBay and it's perfect.

(sent using Tapatalk)

The cheaper booster type things are rubbish, being a mechanic I've tried a few. I have one I got from Halfords which was recommended to me and works really well, holding it's charge for ages. Make sure you do not buy the type that you see in places like Aldi and Lidl (Maplin do them too) as the chargers don't last 5 mins and the batteries are weak and lose their charge very quickly even when not in use. Mobility scooter batteries and leisure batteries are great because they're designed to be used under constant load, car batteries are not, which is why using your car battery is a bad idea. If you drain your car battery it can permanently damage it, the utility sockets are designed to be used with the engine running.

Archived