Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best targets for UHC filters?

m_j_lyons

In an attempt to defeat the light pollution around my house I just received my first UHC filter. What are some good targets (in the evening sky now) that I should target now that could benefit from such a filter. Specifically the filter is an Orion Ultrablock Narrowband filter.

:confused:For extra credit - which type of filter would be a good pickup next? I'm considering an O-III or H-beta...but I'm open to suggestions. I figure I could pull out the Horsehead with the H-beta. Not sure where'd I'd benefit visually from an O-III though.:)

Cheers.

The UHC filter permits superb views of objects like the Orion, Lagoon, Swan and other extended nebulae. It performs well in smaller aperture instruments owing to its greater light transmission than the O-III, yet still suppresses light pollution well.

The UHC filter is the best all-round dark-sky nebula filter.

This i took from First Light Optics website.

Oh how i miss California, you are so lucky to be living in that part of the world. My ex-wife lived in Diamond Bar which was about an hour inland from LA. Would love to go back there, but this time as an Astronomer, you do have so many nights of clear sky. Jealous from freezing UK.

I had an Orion Ultrablock for a while and enjoyed it a lot. It made an enormous difference to the Veil and Owl nebulae and enhanced the views of a number of others, especially planetary nebulae and supernova remnants.

I guess an O-III would be a worthwhile addition - I've found mine (an Astronomik) has replaced my Ultrablock as it produced a more enhanced effect on the objects I like to use these filters on.

An H-Beta is almost mandatory to have a chance of viewing the Horsehead with a modest aperture (< 16") but there are only a handfull of other objects that benefit from it I believe.

The Lumicon UHC transmits H-beta and OIII, it's the only filter I possess and I've viewed the Horsehead with it, as well as a great many emission nebulae. I've never felt the need for another filter. Don't know what the transmission curve of the Orion UHC is like, but I'd certainly try it out on plenty of objects (emission nebulae) before getting an OIII or H-beta.

I use my APM UHC filter for planetaries and many other emission nebulae. When the moon is out, it provides way more contrast on objects such as M42. I even managed to spot very faint objects such as the Crescent, the Cave Nebula, the Flaming Star and the California Nebula with it. I also use it to check a nebula visible without filter to see if it is a reflection or emission nebula. The former get fainter or even vanish, the latter seem to brighten relative to neighbouring stars. Wouldn't be without it.

For galaxies and reflection nebulae, an LPR filter can help a quite bit to cut back the orange glow of sodium lights (and also the ghastly greenish white of mercury lights). Because they are broadband, they leave continuum targets more-or-less unaffected.

Archived