NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finding a dark site...

SoulFrenzy

How do you go about finding a dark sky site? I live in south US, and I have plenty of country around. I have a large city, Birmingham Al, about 10-15 miles away, and getting away from its light pollution isn't easy. From my front yard where I normally set my gear up I can count 5 street lights and my neighbor across the way never ever turns off her porch light. People feel the need to set up a dang street light up to cast light on a drive way or part of a yard. Its quite annoying. So how do any of you go about finding a dark sky site. I am tempted to drive out into the country and just start asking random people if I can use their field, or calling county court houses to see if they have any country land that I can use. I just get irritated at the amount of lights.

Hi,

If you're already 10 to 15 miles from Birmingham, you probably only need to go another 15 or 20 miles away from it to get decent skies assuming there aren't any other reasonably sized towns in the area. I find that getting about 30 miles away from the nearest major source of light pollution gives good conditions.

Graham

I went to an observatory last night and I noticed they had a 'dark sites of the UK' map on their wall. Could you find something similar online for the USA? It's amazing how many lights there are absolutely everywhere! We were trying to find a dark place the other night so headed into the countryside - there were still lights everywhere! Why do people need so many street lamps?

Even in a little place like Cyprus there is no escape, on country roads (almost tracks) with next to no traffic even during the day there are street lights shining down on their vineyards and citrus groves. It must cost a fortune in electricity, such a shame as the seeing is very good here and we have about 300 clear nights a year.

How do you go about finding a dark sky site?

I take a light pollution map of Czech Republic and try and find an area that has the least light pollution possible near where I live (sensible limit for me is a circle 70-100 kms in diameter).

Then, I look at the correlating area in Google Maps to try and find a good observing spot around there that has to have certain characteristics, if possible:

- on a hill top

- no direct views of any settlements (to eliminate glare from street lights)

- solid surface (I prefer ultility surfaces made of concrete like emergency airfields, farming storage surfaces etc.)

- free unrestricted access

- no frequented road nearby (again, to reduce glare)

- unobstructed horizon

I have heard that a good general rule of thumb is to drive for an hour in a direction where there are no citites or major towns of any sort. Then, you are ought to hit some pretty dark skies.

I bet there are some detailed light pollution maps for US :)

I went to an observatory last night and I noticed they had a 'dark sites of the UK' map on their wall. Could you find something similar online for the USA? It's amazing how many lights there are absolutely everywhere! We were trying to find a dark place the other night so headed into the countryside - there were still lights everywhere! Why do people need so many street lamps?

I'm sure it's Philips that produce the map for the UK. I've got one somewhere (probably somewhere dark) lol. That's why I can't find it.

All the best,

Mark

ClearDarkSky Light Pollution Map

and

Clear Sky Charts in Alabama (Map)

2 of the more important tools I have used since getting into astronomy.

This is how I did it. I live in middle Georgia and it is very accurate. I live in a small town but in the direct vicinity it is very light polluted. 20 miles away we get blue areas which are great to observe in. Last time I was out there I could make our the minor stars around Ursa Minor which I believe means over a LM of 6. The spot I found is a wide dirt road just off a highway. The highway has about 1 car pass per hour and I've never seen a car on the dirt road. Also small airports are good places to look for.

Good luck.

Matt

Thanks for all the help!! I may ride out this weekend and scout out some locations. Mainly I want somewhere safe and I really don't want to get shot at. The main problem I don't want some nosy bored cop to ride up and give me a hard time. My wife has no problem going with me, she takes her Kindle and falls asleep in about five minutes but at least I wont be out in the middle of nowhere by myself.

The main frustration is, people for some unknown reason feel the need to put up a **** light to illuminate an empty field with absolutely nothing in it. I understand the need in some places for security purposes but now days its just crazy.

Archived