Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

baader solar film on ST80

hi all

my son and i are thinking of getting some baader film and making a filter for the st80. my questions are, is this an ideal scope for this purpose? the second question is:- will it be better to make a filter the same size as the full 80mm diameter, or take of the small cap within the normal dust cap and make a filter for that?

hopefully this will be a good scope for looking at the sun, plus its a great grab and go.

thanks again for all your help on this forum

paul

Hi Paul101,

As above with merlin, Sun is so close small apperture is ok!!. Make sure you test the filter EACH time before use by holding up to a decent light source. This will show up any small pinprick holes.

Only one set of MK1 eyeballs.. :-)

Cheers

It's also worth considering putting some way of attaching the filter to the OTA... I've got a filter cell with thumb screws... I taped a length of string around the end of the dew shield, and make sure the screws tighten onto the tape behind the string... then give a gentle tug to make sure the filter cell is not gonna come loose/off.

Archived