Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

quick question...

Mansnake

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the bad gradient is being caused by the glare from a sodium street lamp shining into my back garden which is also reflecting off a brick wall opposite the scope.

While that might cause a slightly brighter background, the gradient itself is vignetting, which flats would get rid of; what are you using to process the image? Photoshop? If so, try GradientXTerminator. Then, carefully use curves to bring out the galaxy, while being careful to keep the background dark. If you were to crop the image a bit, you'd have less gradient to deal with.

It's a difficult process to learn! (One day, I might...)

Been using the Gimp since it is free, a copy of PS should be inc (although I think a bit of a dated version) Had a look at IRIS but it was way too confusing.

@ Thermos, I agree with that! 12 subs is pretty pitiful! I was very limited due to the battery going and I think more subs may have teased some more detail out - in all honesty until the stacking stage I hadn't really a clue I had caught anything. I'm sure to give this another go soon.

At the moment something is better than nothing and I am quite pleased considering the limitations. As for flats...I think I may have to live with the gradients for the time being, mount is my next priority and although I had looked at getting the cheaper EQ5 pro, I think I may now hang on until I can gather enough funds for something better and more future-proof (thinking either NEQ6 or CGEM).

Thanks for advice guys and I hope this has gone some way to showing DSO IS possible with Alt-Az, but a bit tough on a newbie!

Flats can be taken the following day - the important bit is to NOT remove the camera or change the focus...

I used to carry the whole setup in one piece back into the garage, the next morning take a white T shirt and put it over the end of the scope and point it out the garage door.

Held it in place with a bungee strap, and took my flats (51 of them).

Taking flats doesn't cost anything except a little time, but the difference they make in processing if amazing!

Ant

Flats can be taken the following day - the important bit is to NOT remove the camera or change the focus...

I used to carry the whole setup in one piece back into the garage

Sounds an idea, except when you have a rampaging 4 year old daughter in the house, and the whole set up is awkward to traverse 3 doors with. I had in my head to eventually purchase something like this First Light Optics - Gerd Neumann Aurora Flat-Field Panels just to make life easier, appreciate the taking of flats would be a pretty straight forward once setup but I think it would make my life less stressful to get one of these and do it in one night, won't nknow til I try it though :)

Archived