Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another Mars double

CELESCOPE

Well not sure how many more i want to do , lol used the same process again and it looks like agood way foward with this , 800 frames with the IR PASS FILTER and 800 with the colour . then colour taken from the colour image and layered into the LUM image , i may give it another go tomorrow we will see ,

Cheers the final image transfer into here does somehow not show the true quality , i notice this in all my images , does anyone else notice that with theirs

Rog

image.jpg

Are your files jpg's Rog? If so, it could be a jpg compression issue, jpg lose quality everytime they are saved, so when you upload a file to an online image hosting site (ie Isee Stars) images are saved at different file sizes, this is another step of jpg compression, at each step a small amount of quality can be lost.

I've taken a look at comparing your original mars image with the resized image and I can make out no discernable differences, heres the original image as it would appear before uploading to the forum.

rogs-mars.jpg

I've done this as a comparison, if there are major differences I'll look into it some more...

Ok, I found the problem, it was to do with jpg compressions, for some reason the default jpg save quality in php is 75% rather than 100%, this results in a slightly smaller image size and slightly less quality. Heres how this image looks uploaded on Isee Stars now:

image.jpg

Cheers Grant maybe you can help me in another area , when i process my images on the computer in the observatory they are great , i then save to disc and upload to this computer ,the quality is nowhere as good , i have spoken on this subject with many ppl and they say that it should,nt make any difference , but believe me it does , any ideas

Rog

Great images Rog.

On the transfer of images:- Are the screens that you use in the observatory/house the same

or is one TFT and the other CRT if so this may be the difference?

If both of them are TFT then you will probably have a different screen resolution/ratio for each monitor.

Let me know.

Rog, your problem could be similar to the one Isee Stars was having, jpg files are lossy, everytime you save a jpg file it loses some quality. Try saving your files as ".png" files, this is a lossless format meaning that each time you save, no quality is lost. Also make sure that when you do save as jpg you ensure the quality levels are set to 100%, most programs that deal with jpgs should have this setting.

It's also worth checking out what SkyGuy said because monitors make a big difference to quality, usually in terms of colours and contrast.

I do most of my work in .pngs now, because the quality is better than jpg, yes they are a little big bigger than jpgs but not enough that it makes a huge difference to me.

Let us know how you get on Rog,

Cheers,

Grant

It's also worth checking out what SkyGuy said because monitors make a big difference to quality, usually in terms of colours and contrast.

I agree, My laptop screen shows differant contrast brightness depending on what angle it's at :shock: thus i dont process any images on it because if i did when transporting the images to my Desktop Pc they would be all wrong(too bright,too dim etc etc).

James

Archived