Nexstar 8se or skywatcher 250px auto goto?

Still leaning towards the sct. Sounds like a fun scope. What would be the difference between dso's with sct and dob?

I bought the 8SE because as a disabled person it is about the biggest aperture scope that i could wish to own while maintaining the level of portability that i need and it provides.

If you are not disabled and portability is not top of your list then a Dob is the obvious solution. A Dob will do a damn better job on DSO's then an SCT.

That's not to say an SCT wont deliver on DSO.

My SCT is better on planets then my Dob. My Dob is better on DSO then planets.

If planets really are your thing then buy a long focal length refractor.

No one scope covers all aspects. Each type does their own thing.

I'm pretty blumming chuffed with my 8SE though.

For me, being in a wheelchair it is really a big aperture scope that is grab and go.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still leaning towards the sct. Sounds like a fun scope. What would be the difference between dso's with sct and dob?

It has the same views as the skyliner the difference will be in framing at f10 it magnifies more so wider objects will fill the eyepiece more than the dob you may have a job getting all of m42 and a couple of the open clusters in m44 m52 and the double cluster is pretty cluttered however the globular clusters are very nice and planets really pop under an sct not as good as an apo but better than the skylner 200.

Iv decided that I'm going to go the dob, il see if I can stretch to the 12" but I may have to do with the 10" lol.

Try to check one out "in the flesh" before buying. They are probably larger than you imagine...

Obviously depending on how you personally perceive scale, but only the dual fork SCT (CPC or Meade) have surprised me by thir size. I haven't seen a C14 though :)

A 250px took me quite by surprise, however. Couldn't see me lugging it down the garden path too often, although to be fair it would probably do me world of good :)

In my limited experience, SCT are pretty easy to use. Park, cool, point. De-dew :D

Obviously depending on how you personally perceive scale, but only the dual fork SCT (CPC or Meade) have surprised me by thir size. I haven't seen a C14 though :)

A 250px took me quite by surprise, however. Couldn't see me lugging it down the garden path too often, although to be fair it would probably do me world of good :)

In my limited experience, SCT are pretty easy to use. Park, cool, point. De-dew :D

If you store it in a cool place, the "cool" part is (largely) removed, if you have a dew shield (or dew strip) the de-dew disappears. Yesterday I just set it up and started observing almost immediately.

Archived