NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Setting up. A very basic newbie enquiry.

Some very basic questions from a very basic newbie!

OK, I've got my brand-new SW 150P/EQ3-2 set up now, on the tripod & mount, with the finder and an eyepiece fitted. I've left all the caps on, and gone through a routine of balancing everything.

It's indoors. In my lovely, warm sitting room.

Not many stars to be seen in here though.

I get the impression the mount will complain if I just try lifting it all up 'as is' and carrying it outdoors in one piece. And it's very heavy and cumbersome anyway, and I don't want to risk breaking anything.

[One] Is it normal/proper to keep the kit fully assembled indoors?

[Two] What's the best way to break the whole assembly down for moving outdoors?

[Three] If the kit has to be assembled from scratch for each session, how can I avoid incurring a long, arduous procedure of balancing, collimating, alignment, focusing etc every time it looks as though there might be a break in the clouds?

There are a few things you can do though to minimise the setup time when you've gone through all the steps once.

- memorize or mark the ground where you place the tripod legs with the northmost leg facing north. Realistically this is obviously only possible if you tend to observe from the same location, for example one particular spot in your garden.

- memorize or mark the positions of the counterweights on the counterweight shaft perhaps using tape, when the scope is perfectly balanced.

- memorize or mark the dovetail position so you can re-position the scope on the mount accurately each time you setup.

Just doing these small steps will save you a lot of time each time you setup. For visual use, only a rough polar alignment is necessary.

You could save yourself a whole load of time not spent setting up or cooling mirrors before use by keeping your scope in your shed/garage. I've done it for a short while now and it's saved me hours.

D.C

Once you have it polar aligned properly - mark the start position with tape or small marker pen on both RA and Dec axes - the scales aren't terribly accurate on the eq3-2. Saves a lot of messing around in the dark. Also get the finder and ota lined up during the daytime - again much easier than fiddling in the dark.

Even if you have to do a complete setup from scratch - it won't take more than 5-10 mins once you are well praticed. We all do it :icon_salut:

I have the exact same set up as you and use my scope for observing only not astrophotography.

This is what I do:-

Set up the scope in daylight and balance the OTA, mark the position of counterweights and dovetail with masking tape. Allign the finder on a distant object, set the altitude scale to my location.

I keep my scope in an unheated garage so that cool down is not too much of an issue.

When I come to observe I take the tripod out and point the north mark on the tripod to north using a compass, add the counterweights taking note of the tape mark.

Add the the dovetail and rings and then the OTA again noting the position using the tape.

The first time I set up I refined the altitude adjustment by centreing

Polaris in the high power EP.

I find this is quite sufficient for visual observing.

HTH

Archived