NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

bought an EQ3-2

Gonzo

This morning I called Astronomia to found out if they had a new EQ3-2 in stock, they said no but there is a mint second hand one. I replied: sold, I'm coming to fetch it this afternoon :D

£40 saved :evil:

so here it is

image_service.php?photo_id=1479&type=midimage_service.php?photo_id=1477&type=mid

image_service.php?photo_id=1476&type=midimage_service.php?photo_id=1482&type=mid

I've re-used my astroboot modified tripod, as you can see even the Megrez looks lost on it.

It didn't come with a polarscope, but I don't need one so it's ok.

Astronomia in Dorking customer service is second to none, highly recommended.

And I did see with my own eyes the "BBC Stargazing live effect" :icon_salut:, the shop was packed with people buying, yes buying not just asking questions.

You can pick up an EQ3-2 with w weights but no telescope using one hand and hold it above your head. I used to take it to the park on my back using a normal neoprene tripod strap, weights in a shoulder bag and the tube by the dovetail.

Basically, the EQ3 is very light for what it can do.

Looks nice. Would you say it was transportable with that telescope attached, or too heavy / bulky? I wouldn't dream of attempting to lift my NEQ6 plus tripod, never mind with the telescope as well.

I can lift the all lot, that tripod+mount+scope+weights with ease.

Will I carry it as it is up and down two floors, oh no I won't.

It's really not that bulky, in fact I don't even have to dismantle the mount in my small spare bedroom. It stays at it is (minus the scope which is kept in its box).

Same here, I just take the scope off and retract the legs and carry to and from the car with one hand (other free for opening doors etc). I even leave the tripod legs extended with the tray attached as it fits nicely on the back seat with the scope & EPs in the boot.

As long as the scope and stuff is within it's weight limit, the EQ3-2 is great for portability. Sure you get the shakes focusing and manually aligning, but it's manageable and no bother for the sake of portability. Easy to set-up, 10 sec taking the caps off to set Polaris throught the gap where the polar scope would go and away you go.

See you have the motors fixed do they work well? and are they rigid enough to be carried about as described above resting on the back seat of a car? (I always take the axis locks off).

Sure you get the shakes focusing and manually aligning

shake? what shake :icon_salut:http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-mounts/164877-my-21-astroboot-tripod.html#post2102939 :evil:

See you have the motors fixed do they work well? and are they rigid enough to be carried about as described above resting on the back seat of a car? (I always take the axis locks off).

They do work nicely, I think you can put the mount on the back seat with the motors left attached.

I'm actually looking into the DIY pillar idea.

unfortunately, that's a no go for me, don't think I'll be allowed to erect a pier in the communal garden/driveway :(

Mind you, one day I'll ask :D... you never know.

Can't see myself moving a heavy pier up and down two floors... so the tripod will do for the time being.

I do think that a pier should be properly installed, ie: permanent setup, which I can't have :D

Archived