NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging Source Cameras for DSOs

samtheeagle

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I figured I'd chime in on this thread since I can relate.

I currently have the the dmk41 and use it for my solar and lunar work, love it. But it is the only camera I own, no dslr or dso ccd. I've been wanting to get a decent dso ccd, like the Atik 314, or something along those lines, but even at that price range can not afford it just yet.

So I decided to test out the dmk41 on something like m42. I live in the heart of the city, and besides the obvious planets, moon, and bright stars that are visible, m42 is really the only dso I am going to see.

With no HA filter and in an extremely light polluted area, I was actually surprised to to see how the dmk41 operated. This is only roughly 10 subs at 13 seconds. Due to so much light pollution and less than rough polar alignment, 13 sec was all I could manage:

post-20418-0-70095800-1359486237_thumb.j

Given my seeing conditions, cheap optics (Orion 80 f/5), frame count and camera settings, I'd say this excellent solar camera could fill my dso void until I get a nicer camera.

I'll post more dmk41 dso images once I head to a dark site to give a real go.

Very interesting :) I think you might be better with a shorter subs. That will give better results on the core and avoid star bloat. There's a lot of interesting detail in the core area. Good to see someone doing something different - I'm all for trying things and testing the "rules". I'm sure you will get some decent images with your present camera. Filters might be a good next step - you'll want these for when you upgrade to a better camera for DSOs (unless you were to get a DSLR).

• 1 year later...

Archived