Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lucky........Or Happens All the Time

Tiddles

Tonight, about an hour ago I was scanning the skies looking for M35 when a streak of light with a definite trail went right right across the centre of my 25mm eyepiece. I can only assume it was a shooting star.

As a noob, I've just seen this for the first time and wondered if it is a regular sight when observing the skies for long enough.

Andy

Hi Andy. To see a shooting star by chance in an EP is rare, but not that much of exitement in my opinion. They are best viewed unaided of course, and then during the known "showers" at certain dates. "Shooting stars" move much faster in general, and I would dare to say they are normally brighter. Satellites tend to streak the sky longer as well, and fade out when they get in the shadow of the earth. If you get out frequently you will eventually (and hopefully) see a fireball which I think is amongst the most thrilling experiences within this hobby, extremely bright and sometimes even loudly heard!

I was lucky to see what turned out to be a satellite streaking past my eyepeiece when doing some setting circle playing with vega on my 2nd night, I was very excited as it was new and just coincidence. I guess if youre excited then thats all that matters, as a noob my mind raced witb exotic ideas, when it happens all the time and ruins your pics id imagine it gets a bit tiresome.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I was very excited as it was new and just coincidence. I guess if youre excited then thats all that matters, as a noob my mind raced witb exotic ideas

Yeah, of course you are so right here, I didn't put it very well in the context - I realized that after your input. It was all meant from my very own perspective, didn't mean to be a killjoy! :icon_salut:

Anyways, this is just another great side of our hobby - there's so many different things for all of us to be amazed with, and excited about!

i was only mentioning this to a friend the other day. in 12 months of this hobby ive seen more shooters than my previous 40 years on this earth.

ive been lucky enough to see a large one with bits breaking off,fantastic.

my friend tells me he's never seen one,so i told him to look up more .

it's not that uncommon to see satelites whizz past the field of view ive found. always nice though. its busy up there !

Archived