Evostar 102 or Startravel 102 or something else

another firstscope question - sorry guys. Settled on 102mm manual scope with alt az mount. Cant decide between Evostar and startravel or something else I havent yet found (is there a celestron 102 with manual - non goto mount?)

Want an all rounder but feel evostar may be better as planets etc supposed to be best in it with longer f length whilst dso's will probably be relatively blobby in both??

Any comments welcome.

Cheers.

Out of the 2, the Evostar is a more "all-round" scope, I have the 120 version, and think it's a really nice scope, very good on lunar & planets, and surprisingly good on DSO's so far, although I had to invest in a 32mm eye-piece to get the best out of them! CW

The evostar 102 is likely to provide more lasting all round satisfaction. I don't think it's available as anything other than a complete package with eq3 mount though.

So if you have your heart set on an alt-az mount.....

How about this one as an alternative:

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/167082-tal-100rs-ota-back-stock.html

DSO's in a 4",yeah, probably "relatively blobby" :icon_salut: but if you have access to reasonably dark skies many an enjoyable hour can be had with DSO's.

The evostar 102 is likely to provide more lasting all round satisfaction. I don't think it's available as anything other than a complete package with eq3 mount though.

So if you have your heart set on an alt-az mount.....

How about this one as an alternative:

http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/167082-tal-100rs-ota-back-stock.html

DSO's in a 4",yeah, probably "relatively blobby" :icon_salut: but if you have access to reasonably dark skies many an enjoyable hour can be had with DSO's.

Second that, get a TAL 100 RS, they've got a cult following on here for a good reason. Check out Astro Baby's report. Oh and put it on an AZ4 mount if you want an AZ.

Mine looks like this:

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/170440-tal-100rs-first-light-comrades.html

you can get the star travel 102 as a scope on its own First Light Optics - Skywatcher Startravel 102T OTA i owned one, but i second an above posters view, it has terrable CA (the moon had a orange / purple tint for example) my megrez is much better and is a lot smaller. the evo star is better suited to planets and i would imagine clusters, but maybe not any other DSOs but iv never had one

Massive thanks to all for your helpful advice. I am rather taken by the TAL option and will be talking to FLO about them Monday - ansafone today suggests they arent open Saturdays. Only worry is that it may bequite a heavy OTA - if any owners can advise on weight/ease of portability that would be really kind. Will go for AZ4 mount (for ease of use this has been recommended over an EQ).

Thanks again guys, Ian

Cant speak for the evostar but i recently bought a startravel 102.

Its true its not brilliant on planets but it is acceptable. I had my first view of the moon through it the other night and it was pretty sharp. I have upgraded the eyepieces to orion highlights so that probably helps.

Where this scope excels is the stunning wide field views of clusters etc. I had it on an eq1 but bought a cheap eq3 which has made a big difference in stability and its still very portable.

Hi Ian, I think FLO are open, however they usually don't get to the phone, but if you leave a message they should call you back. They are probably inundated after Stargazing Live :icon_salut:

\thanks - I sent them an email so am sure they will be in touch when they get a chance.

Archived