NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotograpy Question

Last night i was out with my Meade LX90 10" trying some photos of M57 with a 350D testing out the bulb exposure taking pictures at around 4 mins but when i looked at them on my laptop there was star trails only small ones but they are there.

I also got them using the HEQ5 mount with the Equinox 80mm.

Can anyone help with this problem.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

An unguided exposure of over 30 seconds using your LX90 is probably about the best you will get - perhaps pushing to 45 seconds if using a wedge (Equatorial mode rather than AltAz).

I find my HEQ5 is okay for about 60seconds on a resonably quick polar alignment (with an 80mm 'fract) - anything longer takes alot more careful polar aligning.

Tom

It's the luck of the draw.

I'm fairly lazy when it comes to polar aligning - but to me it seems that the more effort I put into Polar aligning the worse the trailing is!!!

I have managed 5 minutes with the HEQ5 (300D and 8" F5), there was some trailing but not a great deal. Then other times I'm lucky if I can get 30 seconds...

4 minutes is quite good!

Ant

Archived