Telescope advice required.

Hi all

I am pretty new to astronomy but have been sky watching with an old pair of Russian binos attached in 'Heath Robinson' style to my camera tripod. I have seen Jupiters moons, various constellations and some cracking views of the moon.

I am looking to get my first telescope and have refined my search down to 2 models that seem to do what I want and are within budget.

Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ

Sky Watcher Explorer 130

Can anybody advise on whether there is one particularly better than the other or if I have missed something off my list that I should consider.

Personally I'd go for the Skywatcher. Optically there is nothing to pick between them but I feel the Skywatcher is better built, using much less plastic and there are frequently reported probems with the finders on the Astromaster's.

After further research and quite alot of head scratching I have decided to go for the Skyliner 150P Dob. I think the mount will be easier to use for a beginner and less to go wrong mechanically.

I will be buying in mid-March so I have between now and then to sort out what I plonk it on in the garden. I'm thinking in terms of a sturdy stool but would appreciate suggestions from those that own and use this scope.

Cheers all

After further research and quite alot of head scratching I have decided to go for the Skyliner 150P Dob. I think the mount will be easier to use for a beginner and less to go wrong mechanically.

I will be buying in mid-March so I have between now and then to sort out what I plonk it on in the garden. I'm thinking in terms of a sturdy stool but would appreciate suggestions from those that own and use this scope.

Cheers all

You've made a wise decision there, you will not regret going for the 6" mirror.

Enjoy.:D

Ron.

At apertures of less than 6" there is little difference between parabolic and spherical mirrors.

hmm.... through my experiences I have noticed the difference with a 5" newt. But parabolic is also lighter and focuses in the image with slightly better contrast in my view. Especially under dark skys! :D

Archived