Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So the adventure begins !...

Hi guys,

Ok so ive decided to go ahead and buy myself a telescope. In the long run i really want to be able to do long exposure astroimaging.

First of all i dont expect to buy a scope and automaticly be able to take awesome pictures.

So first things first the scope...

I have been looking at the Celestron Nexstar 4SE which seems to be a nice scope.

I would like to hear some peoples thoughts and suggestions regarding the scope and what i want to achieve.

Many thanks !

Lewis

Astroimagine requires a equatorial mount something like a HEQ5 or NEQ6, thats one bit of the expense, i know nothing of the Nexstar 4SE but normally a fast scope F4-F5 so there less exposure time helps, plus a camera the one of choice is a Canon Type i think most models from the 350D upwards, you can start by downloading "Stellarium" its free and "Deep Sky Stacker" another freebee with a good help file so you will have a rough idea of what "Darks, Flats ect " are and why you need them...

Stellarium

DeepSkyStacker Download

Hi Lewis,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are really interested in getting into long exposure imaging I strongly suggest that you get a copy of the book "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards, who is a member here.

I don't think the Nexstar 4SE is the right sort of choice if that is your interest as i) it's a "slow" scope - long focal length and ii) it's on an alt-aziumuth mount. The general recommendations for long exposure, deep sky imaging seem to be a short focal length scope like an 80mm ED refractor on a really solid equatorial mount. You can actually skip the scope to start with and just use a DLSR on an equatorial mount.

The needs of long exposure imaging are very different from visual observing or even from lunar / planetary imaging, you see.

Thanks for the fast replies guys !

OK I think I have a lot to learn....but that's half the fun right ?

The long exposure astroimaging will be way off yet as I haven't got the money I need at the moment.

the plan is to buy a decent scope I can use straight away but then maybe add to it later.

Could you guys give me some suggestions on scopes and mounts ?

you must get so bored with these questions lol

I will certainly have a look at "Making Every Photon Count".

Thanks again for all your help guys

Lewis

Ok after much consideration ive decided to go for either the Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO or Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO as i think these would be a good introduction to astronomy and astro imaging. unfortunately my budget isn't big enough for DSO.

Im also going to treat myself to a SCP900NC Webcam so i can get some nice avi's etc...

What would be the best choice out of the two scopes and what adaptors do i need to mount the webcam to the scope ?

Cheers guys !

Hi Paul, cheers for your post.

My budget will only allow me to go for one of the two skymax's. As I want to get a few accessories also. barlows etc...

Is that webcam modded for long exposure and its it CCD? As I've found the SPC900 its liked gold dust.

Yeah first light last Saturday. Moon magnificent, Jupiter (good detail) and 3 moons pin sharp and M42 a green haze :D

Had a tracking test tonight using 2 star alignment (Dubhe/Rigel) and took all of 2 minutes to set up. Tracked the moon flawlessly.

Not a good night here for viewing due to cloud so I'll have to wait another time to 'bag' Mars :(

sorry to throw a spanner in the works I know everybody says that for astriomaging you need an ed80 and a heq5 but try googling some images taken with this set up First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

they would be good enough for me you need to add an ra motor but it srikes me if you would like to cut your teeth on some lx imaging of dso's it's good enough to learn on

Cheers rowan46

im gonna stay GOTO for now to get a better understanding of the hobbie and skies. after a while i probably wont even use the GOTO once i know the skies.

Sounds good paul, did you use your webcam ? also did you process the images after ? if so i would like to see some pic's if possible !

No imaging done yet. The adaptor will arrive tomorrow or Friday. SharpCap and RegiStax 6 is the software of choice (both free).

Cloudy skies guaranteed for the weekend then :D

BTW - I picked up the Feb issue of the Sky At Night magazine yesterday and they are doing a 'Complete guide to Image processing'. It was part 2 in the Feb issue so I am back ordering Jan and of course taking out a sub.

Also ordered Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards. Plenty of info about this book via the search button.

Both Steve and Robin (SharpCap) are members here.

exciting times !

Ill have to have a look at those mag's and the book i think.

once you have played around with the camera and imaging please post some pics as im dying to see what its like !

Although if you said you can see the moons of Jupiter then i think im going to be very happy ! :D

Can I suggest avoiding goto at the start? Goto is great but can also be deeply time consuming and frustrating as well. A goto system is also full of objects you can't see anyway and you really need to know the sky before you use goto, to find the alignment stars, so often a newbie is pointed toward a dobsonian.

A dobsonian (dob) is your best bang for your buck. Aperture is king....... It will teach you the skies far faster.

Archived