Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guide Camera Recommendation

austen4

Hello all,

I need some advice. I am going to purchase a guide camera but I need help as I do not really know much about the makes/models etc. I will need a ST4 port for guiding and I take it they have to have a usb. I do not mind buying 2nd hand and will keep a look out of astro buy/sell and others. I will need to spend as little as possible but I understand that this could not give as good guiding as others. What cameras would you reccommend using/buying?

All suggestions with me muchly appreciated

Thanks

Austen,

From your posts on another thread I'm guessing your HEQ5 just has the basic analogue motors rather than the high precision steppers and ST4 port that comes on the Syntrek / Synscan versions. If so then you will need a similar system to that shown in QM's posts where the camera comes with it's own controller that does all the computing and pulse guiding. Purchasing a QHY5, ST4 cable and soldering one end to the mount NSEW control box won't give you guiding

You'll need something like the LVI smart guider that is featured in QM's thread - Typically £419 for the Starguider II. Alternatives are:

Starshoot Solitair - £540

Skywatcher Synguider - £240

Hope that helps

I would like to start of by saying sorry as I thought all of the guide camera would adapt to any motors.

Austen,

From your posts on another thread I'm guessing your HEQ5 just has the basic analogue motors rather than the high precision steppers and ST4 port that comes on the Syntrek / Synscan versions. If so then you will need a similar system to that shown in QM's posts where the camera comes with it's own controller that does all the computing and pulse guiding. Purchasing a QHY5, ST4 cable and soldering one end to the mount NSEW control box won't give you guiding

You'll need something like the LVI smart guider that is featured in QM's thread - Typically £419 for the Starguider II. Alternatives are:

Starshoot Solitair - £540

Skywatcher Synguider - £240

Hope that helps

This is great. Well I have learn't something new. Good advice will keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Archived