Excitedly new to astronomy

Hi and welcome.

A lot depends on what you want to view with your scope. I'm still a beginner but from what I've learnt so far, aperture is king for things that live beyond our solar system, galexies etc. so the wider the better.

If you can do without the computerised elements of a scope then you'l get more scope for your money.

You'll get some great advice off the guys i'm sure.

Enjoy whatever you buy.

Hi and welcome to the SGL

TBH that would not be my first choice for a starter scope.

All your money is going into electrics here, so optically (and mechanically by he look of that mount/tripod ) its going to disappoint.

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian This is what I would recommend.

Here you are paying for optics. The mount, although basic is extremely stable and vibration free. This is very important in astronomy.

The increased aperture will also greatly improve the viewing of all objects.

Regards Steve

Hi, and welcome to SGL, as said above, it depends on what you want to view, if it is DSO's (deep sky objects) this telescope will dissappoint, but with Moon and planets it should be OK, personally if this is your viewing preferences, I would go for the 80mm refractor, which will show them better. Remember, these are entry level scopes and I think you will want more a short time later. As others have suggested, it is better to put your money into optics rather than electronics, so I should think very carefully about what you really want to get out of a telescope.

Hi and welcome to SGL. The best telescope for any beginner is one which will teach you the night sky. There is none better then a 150p dobsonian. After that you can advance. But you have a lot to learn from the Getgo and there aren't any shortcuts. Forget electronics and get the basics right first.

Yeah i have been reading up and thinking its not a good idea to invest in the computers and all that kinda takes the fun out of finding the stars yourself too lol,

One of my brothers friends has a basically brand new Orion XT8 Classic Dobsonian for sale for like 150 bucks seems like a good buy.

Archived