astrophotograpy advice

can anyone help me, ive taken up astrophotograpy and i have a skywatcher 130 and a canon dslr, but i just dont understand the part about the different frames that need to be taken, light, dark, bias and flat, if someone could explain this on a simple level then i would be very thankful

hmm well i have not got to that stage yet, i really hope so or ive just wasted a lot of money, i heard that focus may be easier if a barllow was introduced, i notice you have an unmodified canon, do you still get good images with it unmodified

ok thats not good, what would you recomend, id rather not mess with the scope, i would maybe intersted in upgrading, any recomendatoins, i have loked at the skywatcher 200p but would this suffer th same issue, thanks

Hey,

I had a 130m and couldn't get focus with a dslr and the scope (except with eyepeice projection but the results werenot great)

There are quite a few options open to you with regards to what to do next. I'm sure theres many on here that can offer more detailed advice but this is my 2p's worth.

1. Modify scope - This can vary from moving the primary futher up the tube, to changing the focuser, I think I read an option for chopping a bit out the middle of the tube!!! The idea of self mod's scared me so I didn't go for this, you may well be braver than me an I'm you could find someone on here who has done it al ready.

2. Use a webcam. I cheapish webcam (spc900) can give some reasonable results with planets and moon, and you can also get the long exposure modded for DSO's I only used mine for planetary shots but have seem some good resuts with a webcam and a SW150 I think. Again I'm sure someone could expand more!.

3. Eye Peice or barlow projection with dslr. I tried this and it didn't work that well! Could have just been me though.

4. Buy anew scope (This was what I chose) Probably the most appealing of all the options and worked for me (Although I am struggling to get some decent time outside) I think the new SWp rang have been tweaked to be more compatable with DSLR photography. I have a SW250 with a low profile focuser and this can just about reach focus with about 5mm of play and thee are certainly many on here doing atsrophography with sw 150's and up!

Hope this helps! I am basically regurtating what I read when I was in a similar position about 6months ago!

All the best and keep us posted with what you choose to do!

Stu

Archived