Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1st guided image

drumsolo

Hi all,

This is my first ever attempt and auto guiding and capturing an image. Its certainly does not seem as daunting now I have done it using the Orion Starshoot and PHD, managed to get 4 min subs comfortably on M42 and post processed with CS5. Total of 8 x 4 min subs, no darks or flats though, something I need to work on. I am pleased with the results I am getting although I realise now I need a lot more subs.

I would appreciate some feedback to help me improve especially with the processing, not sure about removing gradients and vignetting without taking flats.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice to date, this is such a great forum.

Stuart

post-24534-13387772253_thumb.jpg

Guiding looks really good Stuart. If you can get some flats that would eliminae the vignetting, other than that GradientXterminator is a great plug in for Photoshop for removing gradients and very easy to use. Dark really help to remove the camera noise and are dead easy to do, they just take some time. I would guess the next step in the processing would be to take some shorter exposures for the trapezium region and combine them with a layer mask so you pick out the detail in there.

Archived