1st Telescope on a very tight Budget

Apologies for the same old, same old kind of ‘I’m new and don’t know what to buy’ thread but I’m sure you can appreciate there’s a hell of a lot of information out there and finding the bits relevant to you and your budget can be a bit of a headache!

So… I’ve been interested in astronomy since I was a lot younger but up until now I’ve just been using the good old naked eye to look at the same old constellations and night sky phenomena. I bought a ‘beginner’s guide’ kind of book a couple of months ago which has spurred me on into going a little bit deeper into the subject (and not forgetting Stargazing Live!).

Compared to most on this forum I do have a *very* small budget (around £100 or less) which I realise is not going to get me award winning photographs or anything close to what a lot of people on here describe seeing… however such are financial pressures at the moment that’s about the limit!

From what I have read, a refractor telescope seems to be better for relatively close objects, and a reflector for further away? As a bit of a compromise I’ve been wondering about getting a pair of binoculars and also a reflector telescope. But how much would you actually see with a pair of say 10x50 binoculars?

I saw in Jessops yesterday a Ta1100-102 which had 50% off the price and is now £90 – is this good value for money/a good telescope? Can anyone recommend anything else decent for around that price? I was also looking at the Celestron Astromaster 70AZ.

My last question should be fairly straightforward – are there any good shops in the West Midlands area (ideally Birmingham) where I can go to have a look at the size etc of different telescopes? There’s only Jessops I can think of which has virtually nothing in stock at the moment. I’ve seen people mention the idea of going to a society meeting and trying out some scopes there but I get the impression anything I might try there would be way beyond my budget!

Any help and advice on the above points would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

the celestron astromaster 114eq is available at the top end of your budget for 100 its got a 114mm mirror and is a reflector its the biggest scope you would be able to get for your money i would rekon but also have a look on ebay just make sure you collect it yourself if you can and you can have a look at the condition of the mirrors etc before purchasing from ebay :) link for 113eq £100 free delivery or amazon have it for £107 ABC Digital Cameras>C21045 Celestron Astromaster 114EQ

Tal 1 off ebay check the mirrors are clean and free from marks the rest is bomb proof (make sure its a later model with 1 1/4 inch focus tube (it has a little thumb screw)) date on plaque on bottom of tube look for post 1998)

Should pick one up between 40-60 pounds with two eyepieces (ps throw away the solar filter its dangerous)

Mount is stable and at f7.3 easy to collimate.

You will not find a better made scope under £200 inho

You mention a tal in the post at half price if its a tal1 110mm thanks also a bargain new.

you can get some genuine bargains on U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell but it helps if you can go with someone to have a look for you. if you are at all handy, you could buy a used 6" reflector for well under your budget and make a dobsonian base Telescope Dobsonian base from basic materials. this would give very satisfactory views and far better than bins or a cheap refractor. steer clear of Jessops and Seben.

Archived