Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Some Gemini and Orion Doubles

A clear few hours this evening, very damp, seeing about 2.5 -3 not the best mainly due to high thin cloud, damp and high level turbulence.

Using the Meade 127 ED Triplet in the observatory linked to Skymap Pro11 I went on the hunt for some obscure doubles in Gemini and Orion and a couple of Orion multiples

STF 830 Gemini

2 very similar mag components (8 and 8.5) at a nice easy 12 arcsecs separation. The primary component looked yellow but I couldn’t really discern any colour contrasts in the secondary.

STF 889 Gemini

An obvious orange 7 mag primary with a yellow 9.5 mag secondary. An easy separation of 21 arcsecs. Again the colour difference was not easy to discern, atmospheric conditions maybe preventing this tonight.

STF897

8 and 8.5 with 19 sepeartion – unremarkable

20 Gemini (STF924)

A lovely yellow and blue almost equal mag pair at a comfortable 20 arcsecs separation. Mags according to the book at 6.3 and 6.9.

Nu Gemini

Binopair. The scope view at 50 mag was massive, a bright yellow 4.2 mag primary with a fainter orange 11.7 secondary at a really long 112” separation. A lovely sight.

15 Gemini

Just slightly off the FOV of Nu Gemini An obvious colour contrast of white / blue with mags of 6.6 and 8. The big 21.7 arcsec separation makes this a nice comfortable pair to split.

Epsilon Gemini

White and Blue at mags 3 and 9 with a big 110 arcsecond separation. A good looking pair in a nice background

STF 761 & STF 762 Sigma Orionis

These are an interesting grouping forming what appears to be a triangle. An unassociated mag 6ish star forms the head of a triangle with the 2 stars as the base about 2 – 300 arcsecs away. One of the base stars is 761 at 8 and 8.5 mag with an estimated 60 arcsecs split.

Halfway between the head star and 761 lies a multiple system STF 762 (Sygma Orionis) lying somewhat parallel to the base as A, B, C, D and E.

The brightest A-B are a striking 4 and 6 mag at a separation of 0.2, now this took some mag to split and had me squinting but stretching it with 200x I made out some dark sky between them at times of steady seeing.

Now the C component is 11.4 arcsecs away and at a mag of 10.3 shows a nice brightness contrast to the other members.

The 7.5 mag D component lies 12.9 arcescs away from AB and the E component at 6.5 mag lies 42.6 arcsecs away from AB.

All main components form a staggered line and together with 761 makes for an interesting field of view.

Alnitak STF 744

A very nice Blue White 1.9 mag primary component with a close mag 4 secondary at 9.9 arcsecs separation. These spilt quite easily with 100x. A third component at 2.4 mag lies quite a way off at 57.6. Could not discern colours in second and third components

STF 757

Now for a test of conditions, scope and eye. This is a triple but the primary is split by a 1.6 arcsecond gap but the 8 and 8.5 mag difference make splitting these a little simpler than if the secondary were faint. The 3rd component is a similar mag of 8.5 but is at 51 arcsecs and was easy by comparison.

An enjoyable couple of hours despite the mediocre seeing conditions

Philj

Nice report Phil - thanks for the post :)

Some nice pairings and groupings there - more for my "to do" list !

How do you get on with Eta Orionis ?

It's a "peanut" or touching pair with my 4" Vixen but I get a clear split with my ED120 refractor at 180x or more.

Yep. Nice report indeed. It's really fun splitting doubles, isn't it? Eta Cas has remained my own favourite double (although not in yr report, figured I'd just mention it as a recommendation if you haven't seen it yet) ever since I saw it first time. I guess mainly because the primary in this system is the same type of star as our sun, find that so compelling to watch!

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a super couple of hours there Phil. Some really nice captures. I viewed 20 Gemini last month. A really nice sight with that relatively wide 20" split. Noted down both stars as subtly light yellow, with the northern component being the brighter of the pair.

Archived