Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR - Camera Choices (Nikon)

Hi,

I was thinking of a one of the following DSLR's as a general camera purchase (someone's off to Iceland soon!! - and yes the country before anyone starts!):

Nikon D3100, D5000, or Nikon D5100

Do any of them stand out as being useless for any aspects of Astrophotography? I appreciate they're not a D90 etc! I was hoping to take some long exposures of star trails, night sky scenery in addition to general landscapes and the likes. I'm not planning on hooking it up to the 250px just yet (need an EQ6 mount first) but would buy with a slight look to the future.

Any thoughts/advice greatly appreciated.

Do you have Nikon gear already? If not you should seriously consider Canon DSLR because they are much better supported for astrophotography.

If you already own some Nikon stuff, then I will probably opt for the D3100. However, a D90 will be much better, because it can use older AF-D and 3rd party lens which will reduce the overall cost of your camera system.

I own neither brand or equipment as of yet. I have experience with using the Nikon's (ie D5000) shooting motorsports and I was quite impressed with them.

I can't really stretch to a D90 I'm afraid at present. The reason I was aiming towards a D3100 or D5100 is the multitude of forums/reviews I've researched all tend to recommend the Nikon's as better entry level DSLR's (note...not all ranges, pls no Nikon vs Canon flame war!!)

:)

As someone just getting into AstroPhotography...I wish I'd gone for a Canon DSLR for my "main" camera :) would have saved me buying a second set of lenses for astro...or an adapter for lenses. The Canons are FAR better supported from a software/control point of view and only need one cable. Also, they are "easier" to get modified (not even sure you can modify a Nikon??). AND, they shoot RAW, unlike the Nikon which shoots NEF (an altered, not quite RAW...excluding Mode 3).

Go Canon if you can for this. I'm still keeping my D7000 for my day to day photography though!

Thanks for the comments,

The thing is though, I'm not after a camera primarily for astrophotography (not realistically for another two years when i'll be able to get an EQ6 with the blessing of the OH!). It's more for general use with the ability to take pictures of the night sky on a stand etc and get star trails and night scenery shots. My budget is around the £350-£500 range. I've seen some great deals on ex stock d5000's and can pick one up plus the twin lense VR pack (18-55 mm and 70 - 300 mm) for £365. That's a lot of camera for the money etc...

It's ok you won't get a Nikon vs Canon frame war here. If you look at my signature, I'm a Nikon user myself. For day time and normal use Nikon and Canon are similar, but for astro Canon is much better supported than any other make. Astronomik and Hutech make removable camera mounted filters for Canon EOS cameras, but no one make them for Nikon or other manufacturers. Baader also make filter conversion kit for Canon. There is even a cooled version of the 60D being sold in Japan

e.g.

Astronomik

Hutech Astronomical Products - Filter Accessories

Central DS?ASTRO60D ?????60D? ?2?????? ?????????KYOEI

The same goes for software. Canon DSLR is supported by most, but not Nikon

If you are set on Nikon, the D3100 seems to have better noise performance and the lower resolution will make it more tolerant tracking error. D5100 has the tilting screen which make it more convenient when imaging near the zenith.

It's ok you won't get a Nikon vs Canon frame war here. If you look at my signature, I'm a Nikon user myself. For day time and normal use Nikon and Canon are similar, but for astro Canon is much better supported than any other make. Astronomik and Hutech make removable camera mounted filters for Canon EOS cameras, but no one make them for Nikon or other manufacturers. Baader also make filter conversion kit for Canon. There is even a cooled version of the 60D being sold in Japan

e.g.

Astronomik

Hutech Astronomical Products - Filter Accessories

Central DS?ASTRO60D ?????60D? ?2?????? ?????????KYOEI

The same goes for software. Canon DSLR is supported by most, but not Nikon

If you are set on Nikon, the D3100 seems to have better noise performance and the lower resolution will make it more tolerant tracking error. D5100 has the tilting screen which make it more convenient when imaging near the zenith.

Thank you for the info,

If I was to start looking at entry level Canon DSLR's would you have any pointers where to start? I get a little lost in the Canon ranges!

This a good model and lense kit? http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/80640/show.html

I would go with what you want to use as a day camera and make the most use of it you can. The only detracting feature with the 3100, 5000 or 7000 is the lack of a tethered long exposure mode( >30 secs) but its still possible to take longer photos to the camera storage with a cheap controller from ebay. Its not essential for focusing (use liveview) and its not essential for framing.

The arguments about mode3/star eater seem to have died off now for the newer generation of consumer nikons and I seem to have enough stars in my photos to live with.

Would you really mess about with body filters at night and either remove them or reset the white balance for use during the day when using a Canon?

Cheers

Mike

I thought with the Nikon's they have a long exposure up to 1 hour (unless manually overriding in bulb mode?).

As for playing with filters and the likes...unlikely to begin with. I'll mostly be getting used to basics of photography before I start experimenting with filters etc. I've only used DSLR's in the past for motorsports where I was more concerned with the correct ISO settings and shutter speed/aperture etc. Admittedly I didn't give filters a second thought....

I have the d3100 and it's a great little camera. I haven't used it for any astrophotography though. It has got "bulb" mode, which keeps the shutter open as long as you hold down the shutter button but in all practicality you need a shutter release cable for it. I bought a cheap one from ebay for £3/4.

I would go with what you want to use as a day camera and make the most use of it you can...

The OP doesn't have a day DSLR yet, so he could choose Nikon or Canon. If astrophotography is one of his interest, then picking Canon from the start is a good choice. If he has a Nikon already then obviously he should keep using that.

I doubt anyone will try to change the lens mount filter in the dark, but at least Canon cameras has the option of using body mounted filter without dissembling the camera and voiding warranty. A Hutech IDAS LPS filter cost $160 for Canon EOS mount. It could be used with any EF lens (not EFS) or telescope. Nikon camera will have to use lens mounted filter, which cost $329 for a 77mm filter and that cannot be used with telescope. A 2" IDAS LPS filter cost $190 which can be used with scope but not with lens. That's an example of the advantage of using Canon for astro.

A lot of people go with a Canon 1100D. I'm not too familiar with Canon system, so I will let other make the recommendation.

I think most DSLR will only do 30sec exposure without using manual bulb mode. It's the case for a D50,80,90 and a Fuji S5. I use a Nikon IR remote for my D50 and a Hama shutter release for my S5

Hi Keith,

Yes that's right I currently have no day to day DSLR, I don't have a DSLR at all infact! astrophotography isn't the end all and be all for me at the moment. I can see it in the future being an interest but my prime concern is getting a good camera for all round general purpose photography. The only astrophotography element at the moment would be shooting star trails, nighttime sky shots, and hopefully the Northern Lights when I hit Iceland :-)

If its a Nikon or a Canon both shoot a RAW mode that works in Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop, both have up to a max 30 second exposure plus Bulb and both can be used with one of these from E-Bay so just for Astro images there's not much in it..This is a Nikon remote there are Canon remotes both camera types are full covered for all there ranges...:)

LCD Timer/Interval Remote for Nikon D3X/D3/D700/D300/D2/D2X/D2s/ D200 MC-30/36 | eBay

Archived