NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

West Sussex, Steyning

Tiddles

Hi

On a couple of occasions I've stopped on Spithandle Lane near Wiston where there's a break in the trees. The skies seemed pretty good there, though I was admittedly on the side of a road! I'm sure there's better spots near you, but that's where I've tried.

I had a look up the Bostal this evening on the way home. Drove round the bowl to where the model flyers go. Not bad overhead but lots of LP along the coast spoiling the southern view. Bit bleak too. I have access to an isolated spot in the Maplehurst area which I'm hoping to check out this w/e. I'll keep you posted.

I've found a couple of spots, one in Lower Beeding (great views overhead but trees and light pollution spoil the horizon) and the other on an isolated farm in Wineham. The farm offers great views with the Milky Way clearly visible. Light pollution low down near the horizon still doesn't give it full dark sky status, but its the best I've found locally. It may be possible to have a couple of other scopes along if I clear it with the landowners.

Any takers?

Sounds good Andy. Just up the road from me. I'd be interested in coming up for a look at some point and I know a couple of the others I observe with would be too. Keep me posted!

Archived