NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 processing nightmare

Hi,

last saturday I managed to capture around 40 images of M42 Orion Nebula, however I'm fairly new and still learning and obviously not learn't enough yet.

I didn't take any darks and I have limped through processing using Harry Page's techniques in PixInsight and finally PSP5.

Despite using the Canon banding script in PixInsight I'm having a nightmare with my background. I only shot 60sec subs with 20 sec between shots for cooling (this was my first time running my camera through my laptop) but I managed to stack around 36 frames and can see a lot of detail in there however when I pull it out and get Orion looking good my background goes blotchy red with banding.

I got the background half reasonable by carrying out a Gamma Correction, but at the expense of losing the detail in M42's gas cloud. I realise I should have taken darks but not got my head around that yet and I should have used my new external power source for my camera to stop amp glow. Also my camera is not modded, I'm aware of that also. I'm already thinking that next time I will extend my exposure and drop my ISO to 400. On the upside my pics are getting better and I'm please with my tracking which has been a nightmare in the past.

Processing is my major headache at the moment. This has taken a week of faffing and four attempt.

What am I doing wrong? How can I improve on this image? How do I move forward? And what is the best, easiest way to achieve focus?

Here is a link to the tiff in Drop Box if anybody can help.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24775570/integration_DBE2.tif

Clear Skies!

post-19654-133877720742_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look too bad at all for 60 sec subs and unmodded DSLR.

what is the best, easiest way to achieve focus?

Bahtinov mask every time.

I've had a go at your TIFF in PS CS3

These were my processes. I first converted to 16bit.

It gave me the options of:

Exposure and gamma

Highlight compression

Equalise histogram

Local adaptation

Never been asked that before so didn't have a clue, so chose exposure and gamma.

1 iteration of levels, pulled the middle (grey) triangle to the left towards histogram (I never touch the white one I find it burns the stars and bright bits out too much).

Curves, I pulled the black point slightly to the right to darken the background a little (there was some banding, I can't explain why. I use a DSLR and never get banding).

2 more iterations in curves, anchoring the background and the bright core and pulling up the nebulosity in the middle.

1 iteration in curves in the red channel to increase the colour, again anchoring the background and white areas.

Thats all I did.

If you zoom in there is some very nice detail, an excellent capture for a first image, you should be very pleased with this.

Now why can't I attach the file (might have to put in the next post).

Carole

Just had another thought, and ran the image through Noel's actions/vertical banding noise reduction (which seems to use filter/Dust and scratches), and this seems to have removed the banding. Though why it was there in the first place I have no idea.

Plus I also increased the saturation to give it more colour.

Carole

post-18809-133877720918_thumb.jpg

Just had another thought, and ran the image through Noel's actions/vertical banding noise reduction (which seems to use filter/Dust and scratches), and this seems to have removed the banding. Though why it was there in the first place I have no idea.

Plus I also increased the saturation to give it more colour.

Carole

Thanks ever so much Carole, you have done a lovely job pulling the detail from the dust cloud. I had the same problem with banding and blotchy red back ground if I tried to lift too much detail from Orion. There is some lovely dust clouds in there but bringing it out without blowing the core or messing up the background is really difficult.

I just hid the problem with the Gamma but on reflection maybe i could drop it a bit more and show off more detail in the nebula.

Thanks again!

Clear skies

Mark

Hi guys,

Had another go in pixinsight and applied the Canon banding removal tool as well as a Automatic Background Extraction to try and get rid of some of that red speckling.

Fairly pleased with the result now, far more detail revealed.

post-19654-133877721422_thumb.jpg

thats a very nice image, you must have dark sky's

Thanks! It could be awesome but the front of my property spans 3 street lights! This was taken at the back in the lee of the buildings. my neighbours security light was even on! :)

Archived