What Telescope Do I need ?

Hi All,

I'm totally a newbe I dont have any kit as yet but i've been doing some research and so far i know i need a refractor telescope and a equitoral mount and thats as fars as i got .I want to get into astrophotograhy but i've toured the net and all im doing is getting more and more confused with the whole thing. Can someone help me please. I dont want to spend anymore than £200 to start.

You can definitely get some good shots of the moon on your budget.

Unless I am missing something, though, the Astromaster 130EQ is a Newtonian reflector, not a refractor.

Generally speaking, Newtonians are good for deep sky photography rather than planetary - but deep sky would require a much better (and much more expensive) mount... The Astromaster will be fine for the moon, though, but you might find that you tire of that quite quickly... and you don't need a driven mount to photograph the moon!

My advice would be to go for a SkyWatcher ED80 on an EQ1 mount. It's below your budget and if your interest grows then the scope makes an excellent guide scope for autoguiding.

See the SkyWatcher refractors at First Light Optics - Startravel

You can definitely get some good shots of the moon on your budget.

Unless I am missing something, though, the Astromaster 130EQ is a Newtonian reflector, not a refractor.

Generally speaking, Newtonians are good for deep sky photography rather than planetary - but deep sky would require a much better (and much more expensive) mount... The Astromaster will be fine for the moon, though, but you might find that you tire of that quite quickly... and you don't need a driven mount to photograph the moon!

My advice would be to go for a SkyWatcher ED80 on an EQ1 mount. It's below your budget and if your interest grows then the scope makes an excellent guide scope for autoguiding.

See the SkyWatcher refractors at First Light Optics - Startravel

Don't think you mean ED80 do you :)

Hi and welcome.

I own a celestron 130eq with motor drive and i can tell you you will get amazing photos of the moon. As for the planets, you can see the planets with the scope and a bit of detail on them so they would make not bad photos but if you want photos of nebulie then this is a perfect starter.

You can pick one up for around £130 now so it won't put too much of a dint in your budget.

D.C

Archived