Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Parabolic or not

I have decided to buy my wife a Skywatcher Explorer 130, and was wondering if it is worth spending the extra £30-£40 for Parabolic mirrors, will it make much difference on a basic telescope like this?

My wife is keen to view the transit of Venus, and I am some what confused regarding the use of sun filters. I understand looking directly at the sun with or without a telescope is not a good idea, but some seem to say its not safe with filters, others it is not.

I've also read of rather heath Robinson affair to view it made of a funnel and some screen.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thank you

the Skywatcher Explorer 130, comes with Parabolic mirror .has with viewing the sun there are lots of threads on here to look at. sorry just looked that the sky watcher web site and ur right sorry

Looking at the sun without a filter isn't safe. The safest filters are the ones that go over the objective rather than the eyepiece. They can be bought ready made or come in kits in which you cut the film to size yourself. the stuff you are looking for is baader solar film First Light Optics - Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0 as to the 130 or 130p imo the p gives a nicer wider view and is a more compact tube but the 130 is ok

Under no circumstances consider the filter that goes in the eyepiece.

They may (and it is only may) block sufficent light but the scope is focussing the infra red from the sun on to the filter and it will get to a temperature sufficent to crack it in seconds.

If it shatters and you are viewing at the time then say good-bye to your sight in that eye.

It really is that simple.

A 130 will collect about 2000x the light of the eye, if this is directed at the eye by a shattering filter you have no chance.

Get an aperture filter from FLO, or make one from solar filter - again from FLO.

Oh yes, get the parabolic scope, the image is better, but being shorter will need collimating more often to maintain a good image.

Archived