NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron C6-S (XLT) - 2nd and 3rd light

russ

Been fortunate enough to enjoy two more good sessions with the C6. I must admit I wasn't entirely convinced after the first light. The view of Saturn I didn't think was all that special and the Moon was certainly disappointing compared to the refractors.

But, i'm glad to say, seeing must have been playing a part that evening. I can confirm that the C6 XLT is a little beauty of a telescope. I still having the nagging worry of mating the DSLR to the C6 and the possible problem of severe vignetting. But visually it's a great scope.

So how did it perform on the different targets?

Deepsky - Very much inline with my old Intes-Micro M603, not surprising as both are 6" f10 systems. The only slight difference would be the tighter stars in the Intes. The Intes is the only reflecting type instrument i've used that comes close to matching an Apo for tight round stars. But the C6 is good!

M13 was a real treat. No problem resolving some stars to the core and the view was best in the 11mm Burgess UWA. Like the Intes, this will be a great scope for globs.

M3 and M92 also good.

M56 was a small hazy patch, but good to see it.

Ursa Major region Galaxies (M81, M82, M101, M63, M109, M108, M51) - no probs seeing any of these. Although M108 and M101 were extremely faint, lots of averted vision needed. M81/M82 (best objects in the sky) were simply superb. M51 was easy to see but no detail, as was M63.

M97 the Owl - really surprised this was so easy to see. I'm sure I've struggled with the 8" Newt in the past to see this elusive little Messier.

M65/M66 - love these two but couldn't see the triplet.

M27 - very low in the sky and showing no real shape. Better do this one later in the summer.

M57 - very nice ring, again looked best in the 11mm Burgess

Planets - only one.....Jupiter

Didn't think I'd be able to see Jupiter this year but standing at the very end of the garden I could just see it above the house. Couldn't resist, so moved all the kit down the garden. Probably wasn't worth the effort mind.....no fault of the C6 I hasten to add.

Jupiter should be glorious about now had it been high in the sky. Instead I could just make out some detail in the belts in the very brief moments of good seeing. The C6 performed well, I think Jupiter would have been a wonderful sight had this been 2004.

Doubles

Albireo - very nice indeed. Good contrast in colours between the two stars and the stars themselves quite tight. Excellent!

Overall, as you may have already guessed, I'm very pleased with my little Celestron.

More reports to follow, hopefully an imaging performance related one too.

Regards

Russ

Really useful report rus. I'm considering something like the C6 for a travel scope and I'm most interested in DSO so it's interesting to know what can be seen. Do you think the OTA alone be small enough to take on a plane as hand luggage (usually you're allowed about 105 cm in total for all 3 dimensions)?

Archived