Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece 2" help needed

mert

Hi All

So I'm away next week to the Highlands for a month and taking my scope with me, where I'm going the skies are very dark and I'm on a mission to visually observe Horsehead Nebula, I have a 2" H-Beta filter and various eyepieces, I'm unsure if the low and lower power eyepieces I have are best for my scope "12" Meade lx90 f/10"

I had these eyepieces with my previous scope.

I have a:

12mm Televue Type 4 Nagler

30mm AFOV:80 degree ultra wide angle 22MM Eye Relief

38mm Skywatcher Panaview 2"

I have been told that the best chance of seeing the Horsehead is to keep the power relatively low to get an exit pupil of around 4mm to 5mm for best results with the H-Beta filter. In a 12 inch SCT, this will mean from about 61x to 76x or so.

Are these eyepieces good for my scope or is it best to buy a new eyepeice that can do the job so to speak???????

Thanks

All those eyepieces should work well with an F/10 scope (I'm assuming you are taking the 12" here). The 38mm Panaview is closest to that exit pupil at 3.8mm. I'd have a go with all 3 though - sometimes more magnification darkens the background sky which may make the difference.

Good luck and I hope you get the Horsey :)

Thanks, I'm very determined and with the dark skies i'm very hopeful, I have seen the stars where the Horsehead's location is, so I'm sure of the location.

Cheers

I am going to try the Horse-head nebula with my C8 from the mountains of Austria, and will be using my 40mm Paragon and 31mm Nagler for that. I do not have the 12mm T4 but I think the 22mm would be the shortest I would try (exit pupil wise).

Good luck Michael, when are you hoping to try? I know of a few people who have seen it at the location I'm going to, one with a 10" dob and another with a 16" dob. From what I understand it's the seeing that's critical, so fingers crossed and I have plenty of time.

Cheers

Good luck Michael, when are you hoping to try? I know of a few people who have seen it at the location I'm going to, one with a 10" dob and another with a 16" dob. From what I understand it's the seeing that's critical, so fingers crossed and I have plenty of time.

Cheers

Last week of February. The transparency and darkness of the sky is very important. Last year I only could bring my 80mm APM, and the views of M42 and M45 were breathtaking. The reflection nebuka showed up very clearly. The fact that everything is 6 deg higher in the sky will also help. I should of course go to Olly's place in France, but the skiing is not as good there :)

I see :) So you are taking the C8 with you? The very best of luck, keep checking this topic as I'll be heading up to the North of Scotland, a 2.5 hr drive from here (Edinburgh) next Thursday. Maybe the skies will be good for us both one night I hope.

Hi Mert,

Good luck with the viewing, I am usually in the highlands for 3 weeks from mid Feb. Stay in Strathconon, 17 miles down a track. Its great viewing so long as there is no wind coming down the glen as it howls through. If you are going anywhere near Inverness the HAS meet near Culloden at Smithton.

Good luck

Hi Mert,

Good luck with the viewing, I am usually in the highlands for 3 weeks from mid Feb. Stay in Strathconon, 17 miles down a track. Its great viewing so long as there is no wind coming down the glen as it howls through. If you are going anywhere near Inverness the HAS meet near Culloden at Smithton.

Good luck

Thanks, it's 5 miles passed Strontian I'm heading for, it's a mates holiday cottage that's empty most of the year, perfect location and at the back of the cottage there's a paved area for the scope.

I looked up Strathconon, looks another great location miles from lights. What scope do you use there?

Archived