Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EP advice

ive got a skywatcher Astrolux 76mm (3") Newtonian Reflector f=700. it came withe a 25mm wide view and a 10mm super but was wondering if i could go lower than 10mm like 6mm or 5mm or will the results just be not worth it?

probably not .... the max usable mag you could get from your scope is x 75

your telescope if F700 divided by 10mm ep = x 70 mag

therefore if you used a 5mm ep the mag would be 140

im sure some people will tell you up to twice your appeture in mag is usable, possibly from a dark site on a moonless night with fantastic seeing , but in general whatever you appeture is that will be your useable mag :D

@hemihaggis

Yeh i know all about the mags etc. and some of the best views ive had have been through the 25mm. i did come with a 2x barlow which ive attempted to use on the 10mm and the views have been pretty **** TBH, maybe down to poor conditions. just woundered if the scope could go more than its x140 (practical power) or will it just not cope (work)

140x would be too much for much of the time. The theoretical max of a scope (usually expressed as twice it's aperture in mm) is rarely the practical maximum that will be of any use due to the seeing conditions. I'd stick to 100x as a max - it's better to have smaller, sharper views than larger, mushy ones.

@hemihaggis

Yeh i know all about the mags etc. and some of the best views ive had have been through the 25mm. i did come with a 2x barlow which ive attempted to use on the 10mm and the views have been pretty **** TBH, maybe down to poor conditions. just woundered if the scope could go more than its x140 (practical power) or will it just not cope (work)

hi dan , i think we have some kind of comunication breakdown somewhere , my self and the other posters on here have all said the maximum usable mag you could achive with your scope is around x70 - x100 .

you said you "know all about mags ect" then you would already know all about how to calculate what mag each individual ep will give ion your scope , you also said you tried the x 2 barlow with the 10mm ep ..... you said it gave poor results ... meaning it was too much mag for your scope ...so i think you have actually answerd your own question ? lol

ps a 10mm ep and a x2 barlow will give you how much magnification on your scope ?? please tell us ......

x140 dont think i need to tell u that lol. just wanted to know if a could get a good image if i was gunna buy a smaller ep. thanks for your replys.

but you have already tried that much mag and the image was poor you said .......

a 10mm ep + x2 barlow is the same as a 5mm ep

so you answerd your own question lol

:D:icon_scratch:

Yehhhh........didnt really look at it like that lol. still newbie :) Like i said before some of my best views have been through a 25mm so i might go for a 15mm. thanks for replys

Archived