Bright object

I think it was Venus. :)

100% had a look through my 114mm. to me it is southwest heading and a big bright blob with a 10mm ep and 2x barlow, my view from window is south east to west.

i think i spotted mars last night around 11pm gmt was to the east'ish very orange colour

Best time right now is during the early evening just after sunset. Later in the year it will be seen in the morning just before sunrise. It's often called the "Evening Star" or the "Morning Star" for that reason.

During most of the day though it's washed out by the sun and only visible during an eclipse - soon it will cross the face of the sun and the transit will be visible in solar scopes very early in the morning (June I think). I saw the last transit in 2004 using binocs projected onto a sheet of white paper - amazing event. :)

or ,as my expert work mate tells me " its the north star ":icon_eek:

Oddly, my neighbour said exactly the same last night! I was quite pleased I could set them straight and sound inteligent. It did make them impressed that it was a "real planet" :D

Archived