Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bag for Skywatcher 200P

Due to my location and needing to safely transport my telescope, can anyone recommend a suitable bag? (Just for the OTA)

It's a Skywatcher 200P - 8" reflector, 1000mm focal length.

I've seen the specific Genoptik ones, but they might be out of budget. From looking at alternate sources; large holdall, military kit bag, etc I've not managed to find anything large enough.

What do people use and where do I get them from?

All help greatly appriciated.

Regards, Matt

If transporting in a car then no bag is needed. If you're going to carry the scope on a bus/train etc then a bag might be a good idea.

When driving with my 12" flextube I just put it in the boot, with enough other things to make sure it can't roll. My 8" never used to roll, it wasn't so heavy.

If I were needing to take my 8" somewhere on foot, bus etc then I'd maybe wrap some plastic sheeting round it. Otherwise my main concern would be to make sure that nothing could drop off (i.e. the dust cap). I'd maybe tie a strap onto it so I could carry it over my shoulder.

I live in a small set of flats and need to carry the scope out to the nearby footy field to do some observing. So I need to take everything, in 1 trip, on foot, on my own.

I could manage my old 130P in a large holdall, a backpack containing accessories and tripod/mount in hands, but the 200P is more of a beast...

Hi, if i need to transport my 150P i use a large sports bag thats got wheels on one end & a grab handle the other end. Inside the bag i have some of the original packaging the scope came with plus a little extra bubble wrap. works fine for me...

I live in a small set of flats and need to carry the scope out to the nearby footy field to do some observing. So I need to take everything, in 1 trip, on foot, on my own.

I could manage my old 130P in a large holdall, a backpack containing accessories and tripod/mount in hands, but the 200P is more of a beast...

If I needed to move my 8" dob like that I would carry it on its base, with all my other gear in a rucksack. My 8" is an Orion Skyquest with springs that hold the scope on the base - if the scope is not fixed on then I'd tie it to the base so it couldn't fall off.

Archived