Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyMax 180 Pro Opinions

Hi

I currently have a Celestron Nexstar 6SE, Ikharos 102mm Apo and Skytee. I have had real problems with the 6SE with the scope having been replaced once already due to the "No Response 16" Error code - which indicates a motor fault. The error has now occured again after 3 months. I have agreed with the shop that I want to change as I have lost confidence in the electronics (not the optics).

I have decided that I am likely to go for a Skymax 180 Pro. I realise the issues around cooldown time (plan to keep in Garage) but I really do want a good planetery scope.

Not bothered about a motorised mount at moment.

It would be good to get some opinions on the Skymax 180.

What are it's strengths and weaknesses ?

I really like Apo high contrast imageds (the Ikharos is great) and have heard that this scope comes reasonably near with high contrast images - this is certainly the view of the guys at first light optics.

First hand experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andy

I have one, its a great scope and has provided fantastic views of Jupiter for me, Also very fine for the moon.

Mine is in my obsy so cool-down is not an issue either.

The only thignk i dont like is the focuser, but that dislike covers all scope with that style not this specifically, so I have a feather touch for mine. which i swap between my 9.25 (when its not awash with dew)

I have the 180 pro, it is an awesome scope, a real planet killer!

The very long focal length will give super high magnification, so you will be using ep`s like 12mm upwards, i find 18mm ep`s very good giving x150.

The cool down is not a major problem if you can keep it in a cool place to start, these scopes are regarded as planet scopes but give a fair account on some dso`s as a bonus, they are not to heavy to mount, i use mine on an EQ5 and its okay, there was reports of bad mirror flop on early versions, i dont notice this on my black diamond, you will want a decent dew shield if you get one, have a look at mine, it was made by the previous owner

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/159105-skymax-180-pro.html

For some reason skywatcher supply it with a 2" diagonal with a reducer to 1.25, i did not find this much use and now use a 1.25 direct, hope this helps

Archived