Filters....

Do filters really make a difference visually? I've heard some people say they do and some say they don't make a difference. I live in a area where light pollution is relatively high and understand a LPF may make a difference. There's so many different ones to choose from though.

Is there any filters which you guys can recommend from experience what genuinely do help? I have read some bring out a lot more detail on planets like Jupiter and Venus for eg and also messier objects which is basically what I am looking for. Been looking at the skywatcher LPF/LPR and a baader neodymium ir-cut filter.

Any info would be appreciated thanks :-)

I have just purchased some Baader filters but have not had enough time at the eyepiece with them as yet to really make a recommendation. Link below to my first obs with one of the filters.

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/170670-first-light-new-uhc-s-filter-friday-13th-january-2012-a.html#post2102240

I would encourage you to use the Forums search facility as I am aware of several threads discussing this extensively. I found these very informative whilst deciding what, if any I should purchase.

• 1 month later...

I've literally just purchased the baader neodymium ir-cut filter from FLO.

I'll put a review up as soon as I have it and have clear skies :p

I am going to buy a 2" Skywatcher UHC for Nebulas but bought this IR filter in 1.25" as I will be using it mainly for viewing planets and to bring out their colours a bit more.

It certainly beats having to buy all the coloured filters seperately!! :)

Hi ya :p

Personally I find that the Neodymium filter is not great as a LPR filter however its a splendid planetary filter for bringing out detail in Jupiter's bands and detail on Mars surface.

An LPR filter is no substitute to dark skies. :)

Other than this filter I use a Baader UHC-S filter for nebula viewing with the exception of M42 which I feel is nicer without :)

This seems to be a personal thing, some people say it makes a difference. I got a Baader Neodymium filter and can't say that it really makes much difference to LP to my eye. Maybe a little difference on planets? Not really worth the money IMO; should have gone for another EP, but hey...:p

This seems to be a personal thing, some people say it makes a difference. I got a Baader Neodymium filter and can't say that it really makes much difference to LP to my eye. Maybe a little difference on planets? Not really worth the money IMO; should have gone for another EP, but hey...:p

I'm going to use the Neodymium Filter with the Baader Clickstop 8-24mm + x2.5 Baader Zoom...hopefully there will be some clarity on closer viewing of the planets...otherwise it'll be an ebay job! lol.

Hi Dan, where did you pick up the 2.25x Barlow for the Baader Zoom?

EDIT: Nevermind, I have just found it :)

Baader Hyperion Zoom Barlowlens 2.25x | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

Hi Tom,

I bought it from FLO (First Light Optics).

It also came with Free Delivery...I ordered it on Monday night and I recieved it this morning...Amazing!

I am hoping for clear skies tonight! :p

Dan.

I am looking forward to trying it out tonight if the clouds subside.

I needed something, I have tried using my x2 Shorty Barlow with my MKIII but noticed I couldn't quite get the kind of quality I know I would get using the actual barlow designed for it. I have ordered a Baader Neodymium IR-Cut Filter today to use with it, I am longing for good views of those planets :p

I have three filters all 2" and use them as follows:

1) Baader Neodymium - for planetary contrast enhancement and lunar views when the moon is more than 50% illuminated. I find it provides a slight colour shift but once you have looked for a few seconds this (sort of) disappears. I don't use this as a LP filter but it does reduce the glare of the moon substantially when observing in the same area of sky. I tend to use more magnification to reduce the effects of light pollution.

2) A Castell UHC - this is really excellent at enhancing the contrast of many objects from brighter ones like the Orion Nebula to fainter ones too. I tend to use this a bit more these days than the Oiii. I was surprised that it even enhanced the visibility (but not the detail) of a galaxy recently. Provides a distinctly blue/green cast to everything including stars.

3) A Castell Oiii - again great filter and very useable even with small apertures (as is the UHC) for targets like the Veil and Pacman Nebulae for example and also some planetary nebulae. Again a very green cast to the view and darkens it quite a bit. Harder to focus with this in.

Personally, if you can afford them I'd recommend all of these filters as they all serve a purpose and often make objects visible that were previously 'not there', especially the last two.

I have three filters all 2" and use them as follows:

1) Baader Neodymium - for planetary contrast enhancement and lunar views when the moon is more than 50% illuminated. I find it provides a slight colour shift but once you have looked for a few seconds this (sort of) disappears. I don't use this as a LP filter but it does reduce the glare of the moon substantially when observing in the same area of sky. I tend to use more magnification to reduce the effects of light pollution.

2) A Castell UHC - this is really excellent at enhancing the contrast of many objects from brighter ones like the Orion Nebula to fainter ones too. I tend to use this a bit more these days than the Oiii. I was surprised that it even enhanced the visibility (but not the detail) of a galaxy recently. Provides a distinctly blue/green cast to everything including stars.

3) A Castell Oiii - again great filter and very useable even with small apertures (as is the UHC) for targets like the Veil and Pacman Nebulae for example and also some planetary nebulae. Again a very green cast to the view and darkens it quite a bit. Harder to focus with this in.

Personally, if you can afford them I'd recommend all of these filters as they all serve a purpose and often make objects visible that were previously 'not there', especially the last two.

Hi Moonshane!

That's really interesting to hear you have the Castell Filters, I have been looking at these on Astronomy365 but the 2" UHC Filter never seems to be the only one never available ;)

I am def looking at getting my filters as 2" and buying a couple more 2" EP's to do some serious Deepsky viewing of Nebulas, Galaxies etc.

I bought the Baader Neodymium in 1.25" really to just use on planet viewing on higher magnification etc with my Baader Zoom, judging by the views I was getting last night, I can't wait to see what this filter does! ;)

Refering back to my first paragraph, did you buy your Castell Filters from Astronomy365?

Regards

Dan.

Archived