barlow seems tight !

i have a tal barlow and it performs well enough,but for some reason its very tight to place in the diagonal . the eyepieces ive used all fit in smoothly, but the tal really is a pain. is this normal ?

Don't forget metal contracts in the cold. If you leave the barlow in the scope and change to another eyepiece out of a warm pocket, it's conceivable that the temperature difference of the two pieces might cause the diameters to just be out of sync. This is an anomally with brass compression ring fittings in particular I find. :)

Could be two things:

1) If newish then probably manufacturing tolerances - try sanding down as suggested.

2) If old:- a Tal-1M telescope I had many moons ago was made with non-standard sized eyepieces/barlow and focuser - proper 1.25" eyepieces were too small ! Could be one of these barlows.

Cheers

Michael

Archived