Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 vs HEQ5 pro synscan

Russe

The Synterk had the same motors and drivers as the Synscan but without the goto handset... You could use a laptop and cheap EQdir interface to drive the mount from basically any of the astro charting apps...

It also had a guideport...

I have got an HEQ5 Syntrek which by being in the right place at the right time I bought for £5 (minus the tripod and weights) ...with a receipt.. I already had an EQ3-Pro so could use the Synscan controller of that to effectively turn it into a HEQ5 Pro...

The bog standard HEQ5 doesnt allow computer control... You can modify the handset to allow it to be guided...

Peter...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The confusion that we are suffering seems to be down to the naming of the HEQ5 range of mounts..

The Goto version is the "HEQ5 Pro Synscan" - although the Pro sysncan bit doesn't get included in most posts...

The HEQ5 (no longer available) was a internally a different mount...

Peter...

And exactly this HEQ5 is for sale as NEW on eBay. And I'm wondering - why the price difference. Should I save longer and go all the way or could I save some cash?

If you buy the mount you have linked to on eBay you will:

Have no GOTO

Have no guideport

Have lesser quality motors

Your call :)

(Edit : to get the better motors, handset, goto, guideport, you need to fork out £290 to aunty FLO. I have not found the motors available separately without the handset.)

Not to mention, shipping, VAT and Customs Duty - Typically can add another 25-30%

And as Peter has mentioned, no UK warranty and should it need to be repaired it would be down to you to return it to Germany at your cost.

Archived